Vegetable shortening - Soybean oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic Jo

Reaction score
Does anyone use this oil?
Does it go rancid quickly?
Does it make a nice soap?
Can it be used as a substitute for palm?
Is that too many questions?
Why is the sky blue? :p

I have used soybean oil a couple of different times...mostly when I have the itch to try something and may not have all of my regular oils on hand...I have never had a problem with it...the few times I have used it it has been fine and the soap turned out great.

If you're worried about DOS then you might consider the fully hydrogenated stuff. It's much harder than palm at room temp (but still melts easy). I wouldn't use it as the only oil, by itself it's a little too much like "Ivory". I'd add some lighter oils to it as well.
I've used it many times and I think it works well. It makes a very hard bar of soap.

I order mine from soapers choice.

I use both also. SO far, I have only gotten a few with DOS but they weren't the ones that I made with Shortening or Soybean oil but with way too much safflower or sunflower.
The shortening I have here is a mixture of beef tallow and vegetables. I use the shortening for float soap and that gets super hard and more for decorative soap at 66% of the recipe than it is for feel good soap which I might add around 20%.

Vegetable Shortening makes a really creamy bar! Personally I adore it ;) Especially since I can't afford shea or cocoa butter its a really nice substitute.

Magic Jo said:
Does anyone use this oil?
Does it go rancid quickly?
Does it make a nice soap?
Can it be used as a substitute for palm?
Is that too many questions?
Why is the sky blue? :p

where does the music come from?

I haven't figured soybean/shortening out :(
I get a unpleasant odor from the lather.
(from 70 %- 30%). i love lard!<comparable price-superior soap>imo. Cheap olive oil seems to work well for me too.

edit: its a slight ammonia smell if anyone wants to help my cause.<not trying to hijack the thread>

Latest posts

Back