Vanilla at 2-5%

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hinata

Reaction score
I used a FO with 2-5% vanilla which I assumed it would turn like a medium brown color. But it was dark dark dark like a brownie. Does all 2-5% turn CP soap that dark or does it vary on the FO? Does the type or quantity of the oil make a difference if you stretch out the FO with a greater oil concentration?

Also, if anyone can post pics of creative designs they do with their brown soaps? I know some people embrace the brown but I wanna see what creative ideas you guys came up with over time!

Can't help much I'm sorry - I avoid vanilla fragrance because i don't want to deal with the brown. When I've had other discolouring FOs I've done as you suggest and blend it with something else to stretch it out a bit. Or I might do a black and white (or other colour) soap and put the naughty one into the black and the good one in the white.

It's hard to tell sometimes. Even FO's that don't have vanilla can discolor. I separate out some of the batter before adding the FO sometimes and color the unscented portion and don't add FO to it. It's worked well. I'll also add some TD to separated out batter to lighten it. I have a couple that discolor to medium to dark brown and I use Vanilla Stabilizer and it holds well up to a year and sometimes longer.

I can't remember where I've seen aside from Royalty Soaps but some people have and do take advantage of dicoloring FOs. I had used this coffee scent for one of my first batches of soap. It smelled amazing OOB but it faded to nigh oblivion after cure (on EXTREME strength on top of that but this was an actual coffee soap). The end result was that this FO discolored my soap to a chocolatey color, of the type where my ex's mom almost ate a sample piece I left him. It didn't help that it sill had some sweet notes to it. 😄

This something that I posted yesterday. The banana taffy FO said that it did not have any vanilla in it but you can clearly see that it is darker than the melon ball FO. It is even darker today.

Attachments

• 20200416_094859_compress58.jpg
    20200416_094859_compress58.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 17
some of the batches I made I would add mica coloring. But after the cure I don't see any color! I think the brown color takes over. Does trying to cover up the brown discoloration work if you add extra mica or don't bother since the brown will dominate?

I don't know if any of you are aware, but there are 2 types of vanillin and both can discolour your soap. Most websites that sell and list the vanillin content in their fragrances usually only list vanillin, not the ethyl vanillin content as well. That is why you get fragrances that discolour even when it's listed that it does not contain vanillin, or that the vanillin content is quite low.

I don't know if any of you are aware, but there are 2 types of vanillin and both can discolour your soap. Most websites that sell and list the vanillin content in their fragrances usually only list vanillin, not the ethyl vanillin content as well. That is why you get fragrances that discolour even when it's listed that it does not contain vanillin, or that the vanillin content is quite low.
I learned something new - thank you! I've often wondered why some of the fragrances with a lower vanillin content discolor more than those with a higher vanillin content.

If they don’t list the other type of vanilla and the website didn’t give you info about discoloration then is there a way to tell? Like assume baked goods/foods with have it snuck in there whereas assume there isn’t any in the citrus and designer FO? Any general rule of thumb?

I separate out my batter color some with bright greens, reds, purples even golds and leave some of the batter uncolored, then add the fo into the remaining batter when using discoloring fo's which I use several of. Please ignore the dark specks. My men customers like the DB a tad scrubby so it is the heavier oatmeal and my batter was a tad thin so the oatmeal got wetter than usual and seems to darken more with the DB when that happens. Your recipe can also make a difference. My DB soaps will be darker with my Tallow/lard recipe. The DB soaps are the ones with the red and orange and they are my vegan/palm recipe.
20200422_095314[1].jpg20200422_095303[1].jpg20160105_081017.jpg

I separate out my batter color some with bright greens, reds, purples even golds and leave some of the batter uncolored, then add the fo into the remaining batter when using discoloring fo's which I use several of. Please ignore the dark specks. My men customers like the DB a tad scrubby so it is the heavier oatmeal and my batter was a tad thin so the oatmeal got wetter than usual and seems to darken more with the DB when that happens. Your recipe can also make a difference. My DB soaps will be darker with my Tallow/lard recipe. The DB soaps are the ones with the red and orange and they are my vegan/palm recipe.
View attachment 45323View attachment 45324View attachment 45325

I really love the one on the far right! :nodding:

Yes they are very beautiful and look very manly indeed!😆

I assumed tallow would make it lighter in color not darker! But I guess it interacts with the FO and crazy things can happen!

Latest posts

Back