Using yogurt in soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biarine

Reaction score
I am interested to know if anyone use yogurt in soap making?

I have used yogurt as part of the liquid. I added it at then trace and put my soap in the freezer to prevent gel.

I've added yogurt to soap batter, in an ungelled cold process soap, for a simple teaching recipe of olive, soft oils, coconut & sugar.
Gently gelled milk soaps are very nice.

Powders are very easy to work with (add to the soap batter directly, or dissolve in water and add).
Whey works as a water replacement and doesn't heat too much.
Milk heats if it's a water replacement (whether it's fresh, or reconstituted powder), but is nice.

Whether you add lactate by powder, whey, yoghurt or milk itself, take care with temperature control (it is a very different soap, scorched).

All of the milk fats I've tried have added a smooth creaminess to the finish feel of the soap.

I have also used powdered yogurt, added to the oils before adding the lye solution (about 1 tablespoon PPO). I used a silicone cavity mold and CPOP'd, and I didn't have any overheating issues.
It added a similar creaminess as other milks. I honestly don't know if it provides any additional benefits than other milks, but it adds label appeal.

I use in Hp after the cook. It is so CHEAP to make it when you have a 1/2 gal of milk that is past the sell date. My kids won't drink it past that date. :rolleyes:

Ive used it and its a great bar of soap! Hot and cold process. You just have to be sure you wait for your lye water to cool because it’ll curdle if you dont and then it just looks darker and smells weird.

Oh yeah, I forgot that. If you use frozen yogurt with lye it will curdle a bit. I tried it for a testing batch to see how things were.

Back