Using Tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not enjoy rendering my own tallow. I wish I enjoyed it because I can get all the free fat I want, beef or hog. But I do use store bought lard and it works great!

Sad! I LOVE doing anything that takes time and anything "old fashioned" or (as my father calls me), "Pioneer woman." I wish I had your luck with having access. : (

I am going to contact our local meat store to see if they will give/sell me some. Do you all not have a meat store in your area?

I order tallow from soaper's choice. You can't beat it for hard, white long lasting bars. Last time I rendered it took two days and made a big slippery mess in my kitchen and on the floor. I was doing 15lb of it. The cubes from Soapers Choice last a long time. I kept mine outside this winter. They keep nicely in a cool spot.

Like Lilahblossom, I too get my tallow from Soapers Choice. I ordered a 50lb block, cut and weighed portions used in my masterbatch formulas and froze them in large bags. It's a bit time consuming for the first cut but well worth the trouble in the hurry, scurry of soap making. I use beef tallow at 35%. I and my customers are very pleased with the results.

Tallow is very popular with shaving soap users, too. The high stearic content makes for a nice creamy lather.

Back