Using Hibiscus

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at another thread on using Hibiscus but no comments were allowed so I've started a new one.

I'd like to use Hibiscus tea as part of my lye water. Someone said to make the tea first. Would you put the brewed tea into the lye or into the batter. I have a masterbatch so there is some water in it already. Would it make a difference to the color? Thanks,

Obsidian

Reaction score
It really doesn't matter how you use it, it will turn brown. Very few botanicals, especially pinks, keep their color in soap.

msunnerstood

Reaction score
I used powdered Hibiscus in soap and it does not stay pink. Mine wound up a deep purple to raisin color
Hibiscus Inside.jpg

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the thread specifically said if it's made into tea first it won't turn brown. So this is not an accurate statement? Here is print screen of the comments.

hibiscus.JPGe is a

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You can try pink clay, or madder root. If you search those terms in this forum, you should find quite a few posts. There is also a good e-book on natural soap colorants by Jo Haslauer. She explains how to use each one, and what results to expect. Here is one thread that talks about madder (as well as this e-book) and has some posts within the last month with good tips about how to use it:

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a long thread :). If you decide to try madder, start at the bottom of the thread and read about making madder tea that you strain and add to the lye. It’s the easiest way to get good results. The pigment in madder is very stable in comparison with many other plant colorants.

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a long thread :). If you decide to try madder, start at the bottom of the thread and read about making madder tea that you strain and add to the lye. It’s the easiest way to get good results. The pigment in madder is very stable in comparison with many other plant colorants.
The link that I shared above actually goes right to that spot. I have it marked bc madder tea is on my to-do list 😄

Todd Ziegler

Reaction score
I have used rose clay and the bars are now 4 months old and still a very nice pink. Rose clay is a little expensive but you don't need much.

Latest posts