Using herbal tinctures in soap making.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escopolamina

Reaction score
Hello

So far i've always used essential oils to make soap, but lately i have been wondering if they can be made using herbal tinctures.

Has anyone tryed this?
Does anyone have any idea what is the % of herbal tincture that needs to be used?

In this case i have a 1:5 herbal tincture.

Thanks!

What would be the purpose? A tincture is herbs macerated in alcohol for a medicinal purpose. Many are used on skin for specific conditions I.E. echinacea for snake bites), perhaps you mean an oil infusion?

Tinctures are either alcohol or glycerin based. You could theoretically use a glycerin tincture, but I don't see why. Tinctures are internal medicine so it'd basically be the herbal version of aspirin soap. You'd be better off getting herbs and making infusions.

Tinctures are plant extracts made by using alcohol and they can be used both internally and externally (its important to note that the tipe of alcohol used changes, acording to the use you want to give it). They can be used to make ointments, salves or balms, that's why i thought it could've also used it for making soap, instead of using essential oils, since they are much more expensive and tinctures can be easily made.

Thanks for the tip about the soap seizing when adding alcohol, i guess glycerin extracts would do the job.

What are you trying to achieve with the tincture? If its for scenting the soap, it wont work.

Its not my intention to scent the soap using the tinctures, its about using them to transfer the healing properties of the plant to the soap, just like essential oils do, though from my point of view E.O have a much more important use than that of scenting the soap.
During my free time, besides soap i make ointments, which i mix with different tinctures, thus the ointments acquieres the healing property of the plant from which the tincture was made of.

Im relatively new in the world of soapmaking, so the more experimental sides of it are still unknown to me.

Latest posts

Back