Using goat milk powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapEh

Reaction score
I bought some goat milk powder. I have read that I can mix it with the water and make milk, freeze it, add the lye and make goat milk soap that way... or I can just add the same amount of powder to the oils, as you would add clay or oatmeal.

Will the results be different? I can't seem to find any definitive information.

Further to the first part, is soaping with reconstituted milk anything like using actual milk? I'm thinking it has to be different; you do still have the sugars, but no fats, or very few, compared to whole goat milk or raw goat milk.

Thanks guys!

I've soaped with both goat milk and goat milk powder, but never with my lye. For actual goat milk, I discounted my lye water by half and added the other half as goat milk at light trace. Good soap, but it didn't 'wow' me. But I love the soaps I've made using 1/2T PPO goat milk powder added to my soft oils along with clay. I feel like it adds an oomph of creaminess to the bubbles/lather that feels great on the skin when you want a little decadence!
Hope this helps :)

Using Goats milk powder means you don't have to use the frozen method.

Use the split method, instead. Split your liquid amount into part water and part milk. Dissolve your lye with an equal amount in weight of water, and then add the remainder of your liquid amount as milk to your oils either before adding your lye solution. That will make a 50% milk soap.

To make 100% goat milk soap using the split method, add enough powdered goat milk to the milk portion to bring the concentration up to equal a 100% concentration for your entire batch (read the container instructions for how much to add for the amount of water you used in the lye solution part) and then add it to your oils either before you add your lye solution.

Latest posts

Back