Using ghee...anyone do it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chookie2

Reaction score
I was in an Indian grocery yesterday to buy coconut oil and saw 20kg buckets of ghee(clarified butter). I know I read something about it somewhere and wondered if anyone has used it to soap successfully?
It would give a sunny yellow soap I am thinking by its color anyway.

I have read about many people making ghee soap, it is on SoapCalc.. I don't remember if the yellow comes through in the soap..

I tried it and it works well, just like palm. Not sure if the colour is affected because I used colorants and scent (if they make unscented ghee use that one).

It was vegetable based (palm), brand name Indian Pride. I'm in Canada and this is the usual brand one would find in the grocery stores here. I can't say for certain but the butter based presumably wouldn't be any different than using unsalted butter.

Ok so maybe I just found a source of palm too. I am guessing India doesn't import but grow it themselves so no environmental impact as in Malaysia....I hope! More research needed.

:oops: last year I made a bunch of test batches using both Purity ghee & clarified butter (doing it myself) my 80+ year old neighbor adores this, but it does give off a noticeable odor...on another forum I sent samples to a couple friends there and they agreed that a noticeable sour odor persists no matter how long it cures...you can smell it if you rub your finger on a dry bar, but not noticeable in the shower. I used 5%, 10%, 15% and 20% and all were noticeable...which to me is a soaping "tragedy" because it made a hard and bubbly bar...at 10% it is a pale yellow and at 20% nice sunflower yellow...btw, the ghee had a much stronger odor and darker color than when I used clarified unsalted butter...hth!

Thanks for that info heart song, I like the way you test. I too will buy one bucket to do some tests, did you mix other oils or butters with yours?
I mainly use 30%tallow and a mix of almond, olive and castor oils plus some coconut oil if I have it. (Hard to find in my rural area).
I can dry some in the dehydrator to see if that reduces any odors present as a control test.

just to make sure we're on the same page, this is dairy butter, not palm...IMHO at 10% or less, the odor can be disguised by a sharp scent like tea tree oil or lavender/lavandin or citrus...i believe a fruity scent would just emphasize it...i'm on the road, so i can't check my recipe, but i use olive, tallow or lard, castor & coconut oils in all my recipes...no fancy oils.

can you get, not palm oil, but palm KERNEL oil? excellent substitute for coconut oil...maybe check with your little grocery?

btw, the plain canned coconut milk is wonderful in soap! i generally sub 2 oz per pound of oils, added at thin trace.

Last edited:
A little more research tells me ghee and clarified butter are slightly different, the ghee is cooked longer and has a nuttier flavor and is more grainy.it also has a longer shelf life. The research I did stared that very fresh milk or cream should be used to make ghee or it can smell and taste slightly rancid. Maybe that was the smell some had?
Vegetable ghee was designed to be a cheaper substitute due to costs of real butter ghee.
Ref. Page IV
http://www.inseda.org/Additional ma... Milk Products (MMPS)/Butter and Ghee-286.doc

this is my 20% ghee soap...just freshly poured

aj7e.jpg

this is my 10% clarified butter, unscented with oatmeal...the discoloration is not from DOS but from stacking colored soaps on top of each other, some rubbed off...this was my favorite bar of them all.

fqty.jpg

Last edited:
The odor in soap from dairy butter is from butyric fatty acid, which is a normal component of butterfat. So if you use dairy butter to make soap, the odor will come with the territory.

I have made a soap from about 30% dairy butter and scented it with wild mint EO (mentha arvensis). The freshly unmolded soap had a distinct odor from the butter, but the scent of the cured soap has mellowed considerably and smells pleasant -- the butyric adds a warm spicy depth to the mint.

I agree with Heartsong about choosing a fragrance carefully to blend and complement the butyric scent, rather than fight with it.

The odor in soap from dairy butter is from butyric fatty acid, which is a normal component of butterfat. So if you use dairy butter to make soap, the odor will come with the territory.

I have made a soap from about 30% dairy butter and scented it with wild mint EO (mentha arvensis). The freshly unmolded soap had a distinct odor from the butter, but the scent of the cured soap has mellowed considerably and smells pleasant -- the butyric adds a warm spicy depth to the mint.

I agree with Heartsong about choosing a fragrance carefully to blend and complement the butyric scent, rather than fight with it.

I never thought of mint, but good idea! if not e/o's, element's has an Aveda duplicate of rosemary mint that is wonderfully fresh & strong!

Butter in soap

We are on the same page Heartsong. I learned to make soap at the copper with my Grandmother too many moons ago to count. We always used tallow or lard so the ghee/ butter theory was of interest to me as an aside really. Mainly because I saw big buckets of it for sale at an Indian grocery in Perth while visiting my daughters.

I have no experience with Melt &pour soap at all.

These days most of my soaps read the same as your recipe list. Tallow or lard, oo, castor oil, almond oil and other oils as I find them such as avocado, sesame, palm (asian grocers) if i am in a big city for any reason.

Have now found a reliable source of coconut oil so will include it more often than I was able to previously. I will only use it at 15% to make it go further I think. It is $5.99 for 300 grams so not cheap by any means.
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Ok so maybe I just found a source of palm too. I am guessing India doesn't import but grow it themselves so no environmental impact as in Malaysia....I hope! More research needed.
India does not produce significant quantity of palm. About 95% palm oil from India is actually the imported version from Malaysia, plus none of it is RSPO certified. so please avoid it. P.S. I’m from India and have done considerable research over my 5 years of soaping.

Latest posts

Back