Used cooking oil for soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewepootoo

Reaction score
The local takeaway shop gives their used oil away to be made into Bio-Diesel and I was wondering whether it can also be used for soaping. I have #250 Stainless Steel mesh I can filter it through to take out all the Floaties. I tried to search it but the only thing worse than my soaping skills are my computerizing skills. Steve :D

Steve, I'm a bit iffy on this one, I like my oil clean and fresh. Though I do know some soapers save cooking oil and then make a batch of laundry soap out of it.
I wouldn't use it for face or body soap. Hopefully DonnieJ will come by and answer your question, I think he uses biodiesel glycerin so he should be able to help you.

maybe for floor cleaning or laundry - but unless you know exactly what oils are in there, and in what proportion you won't know the amount of lye to use, and with oil that's been used that way it's not likely to stay fresh. rancid soap is YUCKY.

it depends on which oil they are using. If they are using a "Vegetable Oil" then it is a blend of unknown oils (and varies from batch to batch) and is not a good idea to be used in soap. If they are using pure palm or coconut then you can use it. But it is a whole load of hassle, as you will have to "wash" it to get the smell out. Do a forum search on Fat Rendering, there have been many tips about how to get it clean. I have used the collections from our George Foreman grill a cuple of times, but the soap still smells of burger, even though I spent hours cleaning the oil. I gave up in the end. No good for laundry or cleaning either, unless one likes the smell of old chip fat.

You could ask the Bio Diesel makers for their Glycerine though - someone here on the forum makes soap from Bio-Diesel-Glycerine and they look amazing.

I wont bother with the old oil then but I will see if I can talk to the Boi-Diesel man about his Glycerine.I have an ongoing life long problem wherein it does not matter what I have access to I will always be trying to think of another use for it. When the motor in my GM car died the only motor I had was Ford so I put that in. That was in 1973 and it snowballed from there. Steve :D

Latest posts

Back