US Scented Candle Study

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really have to take this with a grain of salt. There are soooooo many variables with the room, present air quality, individuals, and so on that it is impossible to make a blanket statement.

Sure, a candle that does not emit soot is highly desirable. I quit burning them because sometimes they would smoke the room (see it hanging in the air) and because of that nasty odor right after extinguishing them. I prefer to use a candle warmer because I find the scent to be more detectable. I also like the ones that you put a tea light under because it goes out in the event I forget to turn it off. Which I do now and then. :oops:

Just my 2 cents.

Digit

Horrible study. There was not so much as a linear regression and the statistics were horrid (not to mention the complete absence of mathematical calculations, a table containing the origin of the calculations, etc). Comparison to diesel fuel ... where's the math, let me see it .. where's the chemistry .. why are they similar? This study is nominal at best. It was a hypothesis without much info to back it up. If they had a control group of people who didn't burn candles compared to another group that did, and used health as the independent variable, I would be more apt to believe that the health hazards were real.

I took this with a grain of salt as well. I'm a whole lot more worried about a lot of other things. :)

Oops, I posted this in the wrong index. Can a moderator move it for me please?

I moved it the thread.

I tried to read the study but it was too long to hold my attention...

Having a background in chemistry I would love to know what exactly they used for candles, wicks, scent, etc. many non soy candles are wicked with lead wicks to give it stiffness and of course contributes to toxins in the smoke released. Any good soy candle has an all cotton wick, preferable unbleached or naturally bleached from natural or organic cotton...while this attempts to be scientific it ends up being a witch hunt with scientific terms sprinkled throughout for effect. I give it one out of five stars. ;)

Back