urgent help needed - weight of melted oils vs solid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mintle

Reaction score
I am in the middle of action now and I had suspicion my food weigh might be mismeasuring (Don't remember when I have changed the battery). It gave funny inconsistent results when I was preparing my ingredients.
So just to double-check I weighed my solid oils after remelting again. And instead of initial total 295g, warm and melted up oils weighed 453g!
I am almost certain now that my weigh got broken but before I enter RESCUE MODE :) I want to ask you - is it anyhow possible that melting and warming up oils increases their weight to such amount? (I'm thinking - If there were any, lets say, imaginary air bubbles 8) trapped in my shea and aloe butter, the weight would go down, if any). Sorry if I already entered PANIC and STUPID mode ;)

o, melted oils won't have a different weight. Sounds like yours scale is acting up.

Physics 101

Matter can neither be created nor destroyed.

You've gained about 50% on your weights. So either call a physicist or reweigh everything. My first choice would be to reweigh everything, but if you believe in aliens and sasquatch then call a physicist.

InNae

o, melted oils won't have a different weight. Sounds like yours scale is acting up.

thank you very much Obsidian for quick answer.

Now, the fun part begins. I guess I will just estimate the amount of lye needed (I cannot tell exactly which solid oils from my recipe were mismeasured) using soapcalc and I guess I will increase superfat from 7 to 10% just to be on the safe side. Aaah.

I borrowed weigh scale from neighbours already.

hehe InNae, good point. I would also reweigh if only I didn't combine all the oils in one container already. I don't really want to loose these i gredients so will give it a try and see if I can rescue it.

hehe InNae, good point. I would also reweigh if only I didn't combine all the oils in one container already. I don't really want to loose these i gredients so will give it a try and see if I can rescue it.

I wasn't sure if they were all mixed. I guess I would play with soapcalc and figure out what the highest amount of lye needed and the lowest amount needed and go somewhere in between... Oh and hope for the best. Of course you know you will end up liking this soap the best because you will never be able to reproduce it again. Good luck!

InNae

Move to another surface and try to reweigh the oils. Mine was acting up and then I changed surfaces and everything was on par. It was like someone was pressing down on the scale and then letting go back and forth.

I don't know if that will help you but moving to a different spot helped me

Did you lose accidentally your tare weight? What I mean by this is -- could the larger weight (453 g) be the weight of oils PLUS weight of container?

To check this, clean and re-weigh the container you used. If the container = about 158 g, you might have the explanation to your mystery.

DeeAnna, the reason for this mess was definitely a weigh scale gone crazy due to the old batteries inside :/
Thank you all for your help.

As I said before, to save this soap I have made some brave estimations regarding the additional amount of lye needed.
Then I had some slight ricing when I have added plumeria fo mixed with litsea... apparently soap gremlins had a party in my kitchen that night :)

But the soap itself is wonderful! Maybe not so good looking (I have added pink clay for ITP swirl but dislike the end effect; I also have to clean the edges) but I can feel on my hands it is more superfatted than my usual 7% superfat soap - and lathers very well.

Thank you all for your help!

soap_fail_save.jpg

soap_fail_save_2.jpg

Matter can neither be created nor destroyed.

You've gained about 50% on your weights. So either call a physicist or reweigh everything. My first choice would be to reweigh everything, but if you believe in aliens and sasquatch then call a physicist.

InNae

Physicists are terribly expensive. Call these guys and you might even make some money.

bigfoot.jpg

Latest posts

Back