Urg! My soap is still squeeky after two months!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchenckOrchard

Reaction score
Maybe my soap was lye heavy in that first batches I made because they are still making people squeak and drys out their skin. Whats the best superfatting for getting rid of the squeak? I guess I'm afraid that if I use too little lye it wont turn in to soap correctly, but I certainly am not happy with the squeak factor. Is there a good oil I can add to make it more moisturizing (besides jojoba)?

I also wanted to know if anyone finds castor oil to help with moisturizing? :?

What do u mean by "squeak" ...is it zapping them ? Have you run your recipie through a soap Calculator to get the correct amount of lye to add....if you have then this is the amount that needs to be added...no more...no less ...

I think by squeak, I mean that it is drying out the skin so much that it squeaks. Its not zapping. I used a lye calculator that may have made my soap lye heavy and I did not superfat it. My more recent batches I have superfatted at 5 % and started using a different lye calculator.

I used olive oil, canola oil, coconut oil and palm oil in those soaps. I wonder if too much canola or coconut is drying out the skin?

I dont use canola oil, so I cant tell u about it, but I do use the other 3 with the addition of castor oil, and I get great reviews....

Zero % superfat is part of the problem. I'm sure the 5 % will make a difference and some people use a higher SF, up to 10% (or more for certain types of soap) but I think I see 7-8% more commonly. If you play around with your calculator and put in different percentages of oils, you will see where you want to go. I would say an average percentage of coconut oil is 20-25%. Many people find more to be too drying, but it all depends on the recipe. CAstor oil is conditioning but sometimes it can make bars a little sticky if you use a high percentage, but again, that depends on the recipe. Remember, soap is soap- its purpose is to take off oils. It really can't be moisturizing. There are an infinite number of combinations and ratios. Post your recipe and people can give more pointed advice.

I hope I'm not misunderstanding - are you saying that you were making soap with no lye discount initially? If so, no wonder your customers found it drying.

Even at 5% SF, a recipe can be drying if it is high in coconut oil.

I agree, post your recipe and you will get more specific advice about how to improve your soap.

Please post your recipe.

I superfatted at 5% when I started making soap, but my recipe is much better now that I'm superfatting between 8% and 20%.

I use my 20% superfatted coconut oil salt bars (only coconut oil) as a facial soap and there's no dryness ... no tightness ... and my skin feels fabulous!

How long have you been soaping? Are you selling your soap or just letting friends/family try them for you? If letting them try it out, do up a sheet of paper with a list of words/conditions that describe your soap, give that to them to fill out on each batch. For example:
drying, moisturizing, itchy/scratchy skin, more acne (face/body), bar too small, bar too big, fragrance too heavy/too light, etc. Name your batches, along with the recipe, so that it'll help you remember your different ones.

A good learning resource is: http://www.millersoap.com/ and here.
IDLaura

GoatSoaperLaura said:
How long have you been soaping? Are you selling your soap or just letting friends/family try them for you? If letting them try it out, do up a sheet of paper with a list of words/conditions that describe your soap, give that to them to fill out on each batch. For example:
drying, moisturizing, itchy/scratchy skin, more acne (face/body), bar too small, bar too big, fragrance too heavy/too light, etc. Name your batches, along with the recipe, so that it'll help you remember your different ones.

IDLaura

I have been soaping since June and have been giving it away to friends and family until I can nail my recipes and refine my scents / nutrient ingredients. Thats a great idea to make a list about their reactions. Mostly everyone loves it except for a few that were too drying...which were my first batches but I have pretty much concluded that it was from not discounting the lye enough. Someone also said the rectangles were too sharp :) I'm making circular soaps now :)

GoatSoaperLaura said:

IDLaura

I have been making soap since April/May

I have given away a tun of my soap to family and friends...I never thought to have them fill out something, but i did mention that I wanted feedback, so far I have gotten none.

I will definitely be emailing everyone now with a questionnaire. Thanks for the tip

SchenckOrchard said:
GoatSoaperLaura said:

IDLaura

I have been soaping since June and have been giving it away to friends and family until I can nail my recipes and refine my scents / nutrient ingredients. Thats a great idea to make a list about their reactions. Mostly everyone loves it except for a few that were too drying...which were my first batches but I have pretty much concluded that it was from not discounting the lye enough. Someone also said the rectangles were too sharp :) I'm making circular soaps now :)

You don't have to make circular soaps unless you want to - you can bevel the edges if they are too sharp.

I have very sensitive skin, that tends to be on the dry side. I use no more than 23% CO, and usually SF at 8%... works great for me! GOOD LUCK!

Relle9 said:
You don't have to make circular soaps unless you want to - you can bevel the edges if they are too sharp.

Recently, I had my first feedback that my soap are sharp too. Do you guys normally bevel when it's freshly cut or when it's cured and ready to be packed? I've read a post by Carebear about using your thumbnail and running across it. Can wait to try it as it minimize wastage. I don't like the idea of taking chunks out of the soap (more scraps and hafta adjust the recipe to accomodate cutted bits)

Do you mean squeak when you rinse off and you run your finger down your skin? I love that, I lets me know I'm squeaky clean.

I'm a 7% sf and 21% co

-Ken

Back