Untold tips on making EO fragrances stick?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm2Shower

Reaction score
Good afternoon all. Somewhere hidden deep in the depths of soap making knowledge, hopefully lies an answer to my question. I have seen the usual tips of adding scents right before trace, benzoin powder, clays, pouring at a lower temp etc.. I'm not trying to come across as brash, I'm just wanting longer lasting and stronger scent in my soaps. I apply heavy as is, at near 1oz per pound, and pour at around 105 to 110. I also anchor most scents, not expecting much in terms of the citrus blends to hold up.I do prefer the soaps to go thru gel phase. Would the freeze method help retain EO scent? Thanks, any helpful hints or pointers would help.

What EOs are you using?

One thing you can do with citrus EOs is soak some powdered citrus peel with the EO and add that. It looks nice and I think it helps anchor the scent. I also like to add a little lemongrass EO to anchor citrus scents.

For the most part, I don't have a problem with EOs sticking.

Higher superfat helps to stick scents. Try making some salt bars! So maybe Salt and High SF is the key.
Can't see why lower temps would help. The EO is made by steam distillation, perhaps in a vacuum lowering the temps.
Roy

Thanks for the reply. It's not so much the fragrance isn't sticking, it's just not as strong and as lasting as I would prefer. I'm currently using a large variety, ranging from Cedarwood, patchouli, florals, citruses and more. I guess an example question would be how do zum bars, that have been sitting on the store shelves for months, can be noted aisles away in the supermarket? Assuming they are not using FO's I'm just curious how they stay so strong as EO's tend to evaporate quicker.

Thanks Nevada. I usually stick around 5 for superfatting. Being that I use a generous amount of hempseed, I don't want my bars going rancid too soon with excess oils. Lately I have been soaking my EO in castor oil when adding at trace, as I have read that may help some. What % are you referring to when you say high? I'm not wanting to lose my copious bubbly lather lol.

Where are you getting your EOs from? The problem may not be the the amount but the quality. I know for essential oils ones like patchouli, especially dark patchouli really only needs about .4 oz per pound and that is a strong smell. But with essential oils be careful, they can be irritating. I would say though at an ounce a pound that may be over doing it for me personally.

Salt bars really help the scent stick along with clays. So my question still would be quality.

I have always got my fragrances and EO's from brambleberry. Love the soap queen, not to mention she's quite easy on the eyes. I'm aware of the adverse effects of too much EO, such as lavender having a reverse effect from relaxing to stimulating and such. It may just be that my smell sensors are not what they used to be, as none of my buyers seem to complain. Oddly enough though, it is the patchouli that seems more faint in the finished product, than any other EO. Odd, since patchouli is so strong and lingering. Gets better with age I suppose.

Olive 50
Coconut oil 30
Palm 10
Castor 5 (reserve for trace)
Shea butter 5
SF 10
mix and add at light trace:
Bramble Berry's Patchouli fo 2%
10x Orange 2%
BB's Lavender fo 2%
reserved Castor
Kaolin Clay 2.25 gr ppo
Fine Sea Salt 4%

Thanks Nevada. I usually stick around 5 for superfatting. Being that I use a generous amount of hempseed, I don't want my bars going rancid too soon with excess oils. Lately I have been soaking my EO in castor oil when adding at trace, as I have read that may help some. What % are you referring to when you say high? I'm not wanting to lose my copious bubbly lather lol.

that is true about salt bars, the stick scents, and even then you don't have to use as much. i'm thinking it's the salt.

for regular soaps, i stick to clays and benzoin tincture (for EOs) to anchor the scent. nothing new.

I agree, I think it is the salt that anchors the scent. Litsea cubeba serves as an anchor for citrus oils. Patchouli or benzoin can be used in other blends. Cosmetic grade clay is often used to anchor scent as well.

Does Goat Milk in any way affect the staying power of EO's? Specifically Goat Milk in the powder form.

Also what is a good white clay that isn't drying to use a EO anchor?

What would a low amount of kaolin be? I have some kaolin that I've yet to try, I'd like to give it a sot but not sure about dose...

I use 8g per lb of oils, but you could try 5 or 6g which would be about a tbsp. you will have to experiment to see what you like.

As for Zum, we ADORE their frank & myrrh bar, and from the website the ingredients are listed as:
"Saponified 100% food grade olive, coconut, palm & castor oils, in a goat's milk base, with herbs, pure essential oils, fragrance oil and aloe. Enjoy!"

so there ya go ;)

Latest posts

Back