UK soapers .... Where do you buy your OO?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadgroovy

Reaction score
Where do you buy your olive oil?
I find that soap suppliers oo is really expensive so I buy mine from Aldi at £2.89 a litre. It's a blend of refined oo and voo @ 3%. It's a nice light colour and makes a near white bar. I think lidl do one at a similar price.

I buy my OO through a distributor. I met with an chemist from a chemical analysis company and he advised me to get as much info as possible for every ingredient, such as Technical Data Sheets and MSDSs. I don't sell my soaps yet, but want to one day and if you change OO from Aldi to Lidl brands, then technically, it's a new soap and needs a new chemical analysis. If you're not planning on selling your soaps, then I don't know if it really matters.

I buy my OO through a distributor. I met with an chemist from a chemical analysis company and he advised me to get as much info as possible for every ingredient, such as Technical Data Sheets and MSDSs. I don't sell my soaps yet, but want to one day and if you change OO from Aldi to Lidl brands, then technically, it's a new soap and needs a new chemical analysis. If you're not planning on selling your soaps, then I don't know if it really matters.
Mmm ...... not sure that true. If what you say is right, if you change your supplier you have to have your soaps re-assessed?
I think as long as it's food grade OO, it doesn't matter where you get it so long as it's stated as pure OO.

Mmm ...... not sure that true. If what you say is right, if you change your supplier you have to have your soaps re-assessed?
My specific question to him was: If I run out of OO and go to the store, buy a liter... I stopped at that point because I saw him cringe. He then said that it would be a new soap because the ingredients would then be different and they would need to be retested. He also stressed finding a reliable distributor for this exact reason.

@LilyJo Maybe you can weigh in? You seem to know quite a bit about EU regulations.

Last edited by a moderator:
My specific question to him was: If I run out of OO and go to the store, buy a liter... I stopped at that point because I saw him cringe. He then said that it would be a new soap because the ingredients would then be different and they would need to be retested. He also stressed finding a reliable distributor for this exact reason.
But every year there is a new harvest of olives and a new pressing of olive oil. The new pressing could be totally different from the previous years harvest, but your supplier will still sell it to you as the brand you've always bought.

Is it the EU Portal that I have to nominate the supplier?

No, when you submit your safety assessment you have to say where your products are from and provide copies of each MSDS (some assessors only ask for the exceptions as they already hold a huge number of data sheets from other customers) - on the portal you just upload details of the finished product together with images of your packaging and labelling details from your safety assessment.

Latest posts

Back