Ugly Soap...

Discussion in 'Beginners Soap Making Forum' started by Elizabeth Driver, Mar 26, 2020 at 2:50 AM.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Mar 26, 2020 at 2:50 AM #1

Elizabeth Driver

Elizabeth Driver

Elizabeth Driver

1D822F20-321F-4311-8A93-45841D53AC88.jpeg Sigh....I don’t like the colour .....olive oil 65%, coconut oil 35%, 48 oz oil, 5% superfat, 33% lye. I used pink clay, for the colour, and ground oatmeal is the Bumps...did an attempt
    At a swirl, pouring down the side of a pitcher.....1.5oz of EO, eucalyptus, sweet orange....lemon grass and thieves oil.....it poured fine....thickened quite quickly and went through gel phase very quickly....and seemed very hot. I don’t like the white and the soap has an overall translucent look - could that have been shifted if I cooled through gel phase?

2. Mar 26, 2020 at 3:28 AM #2

Sally Scheibner

Sally Scheibner

Sally Scheibner

I just remake soap that I don’t like. Grate, add an ounce of mixed yogurt and coconut cream per pound over soap in a 210 oven for 3-4 hrs stirring every 45 To an hour until smooth enuf to pour. I even add a FO or EO that compliments soaps existing smell. Gonna remake shampoo adding extra emollients, silk & collagen & jojoba. Can’t decide fragrance? Maybe sandlewood & pinch of patchouli.

Elizabeth Driver likes this.
  3. Mar 26, 2020 at 5:17 AM #3

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Soaps that gel are more 'translucent' than soaps that don't. If you want a creamier look you might try to keep it cooler so it doesn't gel. If you want prettier colours you should probably use micas - they are less natural looking. I make an oatmeal soap that looks similar to yours, however. I don't colour it at all.

4. Mar 26, 2020 at 10:41 AM #4

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

My Oatmeal soap is about the same color. I do swirl with a bit of the batter colored with cocoa powder. My oatmeal is much finer though.

5. Mar 26, 2020 at 3:29 PM #5

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

In my experience, rose or pink clay isn't very pinkish in soap unless I use a fair bit. If I use enough to get a definite pink, the soap can get an odd chalky texture. So I don't use clay as a colorant in soap anymore.

The soap looks exactly as I would expect it to look given your recipe and additives. It's rustic, certainly, but that's what soap with clay and oatmeal should look like. I'm not at all convinced that rebatching the soap would improve it any as far as the appearance goes.

My only reservation is the larger oatmeal lumps. I don't care for lumpy bits in soap because they can be objectionably rough on the skin. Or just weird feeling at the very least.

SmockingRN and Elizabeth Driver like this.
  6. Mar 26, 2020 at 4:25 PM #6

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

I agree about rebatching, it will just make the soap more rustic.
    I like the color and translucency but the big oatmeal would be a no go for me.
    I use baby oatmeal cereal and you can't feel or see it at all.

7. Mar 27, 2020 at 9:16 PM #7

Elizabeth Driver

Elizabeth Driver

Elizabeth Driver

Thank you!! I think your feedback is exactly right - I dont mind the colour...or even the pattern so much- but the oatmeal seems sooo big - although I ground the heck out of it. Well, I am not going to rebatch, it just won’t be my favourite. I have a vita mix, I will
    Run my oatmeal through that next time...I have another soap I did with the oatmeal and I like this one Better -
    I used a similar recipe - but citrus EO, and annetto seed powder, and another that I used ground nettle, and I like both of those ☺️

Attached Files:

8. Mar 27, 2020 at 9:49 PM #8

Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member

Those are awesome!

9. Mar 27, 2020 at 10:53 PM #9

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

If you use a blender or something similar, be sure to put the powder through a sieve to remove any lingering large bits.

I used my Blendtec blender (like your vitamix) to pulverize some rolled oats recently. It looked like dust when I was done, but I still found a few larger bits when I sieved the powder.

10. Mar 28, 2020 at 12:16 AM #10

Elizabeth Driver

Elizabeth Driver

Elizabeth Driver

It’s amazing how something. Little can be quite large in a soap - like poppy seeds can be very abrasive, and I love scrubby bars, but I have to be sparse.

SmockingRN and Jersey Girl like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted