Ugly Pretty

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suisan2

Reaction score
An experiment that did NOT turn out the way I expected.

I was looking for a 100% Olive Oil soap with a peachy swirl where the peachy section would be colored with safflower petal infused olive oil. (I made some melt and pour with safflower petals and have had electric yellow tea made from the petals, so was looking forward to seeing what they would do to oil.) Also, want to add some honey to olive oil to see what that does to lather.

Separated about 1/3 of my OO out and warmed it up with about 2 T of safflower petals. Hmm. Not much happened after 1 1/2 hour of gentle warming, so I tossed the idea and added some paprika to this portion.

Meanwhile, I measured out a a good amount of cardamon and orange, along with a touch of sweet thyme essential oils.

On soap calc I divided my larger OO batch into a 2/3 and 1/3 portion, mixed up my two lye solutions and added about 2 T of honey to my larger lye solution (1700g total oil weight).

Mixed up my larger OO solution until just before trace and mixed the paprika-oil until light trace (smaller batch went faster -- learned that too).

Poured about half my larger batch into mold, added essential oils to paprika section and BOOM. Soap on a stick.

Forgot to split essential oils into thirds and added the entire amount to smaller portion. OK. Won't do that again.

Scooped up my paprika section, chunked it down into mold, slammed mold on table a few times, and poured remaining amount of oil on top. Realized I still had the safflower petals which remained after draining the oil off them, so I sprinkled those on top of the loaf, covered and cleaned up.

In the middle of the night it occurred to me that I had intended to cut my next OO batch while it was still warm so as to prevent over-hardening. So at about 2 in the morning I checked on the soap -- warm on the sides but cool to the touch on top. I achieved gel on the paprika section so it was still mushy inside, but the outside was firming up, and I cut it anyways.

That was on Saturday -- pictures of my slices today (Tuesday). It's sort of ugly pretty. Once it cures I'll probably rebatch it -- but like some sort of odd tropical plant, it's beginning to grow on me.

100_0441.jpg

It's not a swirl, exactly.

100_0438.jpg

100_0437.jpg

I guess I have to read up on rebatching now.

I would give it some time and see, don't hurry with rebatch, it's not ugly, let it cure for awhile and try to trim

You've got all of those lovely essential oils in there, I say leave it. Rebatching is not likely to improve its appearance and it has a nice rustic look as it is.

We are always our own worst critics.

I only rebatch if my soap is unsafe and/or separated from overheating.

Embrace it!

I rebatched too many soaps that I later wished I hadn't because they didn't turn out the way I expected or wanted. This is a really neat soap. Give it a chance ;)

I'm leaving it for now.

Since it's almost 100% olive (5% Castor), I have to walk away from it anyways, so rebatching isn't going to happen just yet.

(I'm still pretty annoyed that I put ALL my fragrance in the 1/3 portion!)

Pug Mom said:
Looks like marble, I like it!

That's just what I thought when I looked at the pictures. I don't think it's ugly at all. I thought it was cool looking. If you hadn't said it was an experiment that didn't work out, I would have been wondering how you achieved this look.

Remember the Soapmaker Mantra: I meant to do it! :lol:

I must be hungry, because to me it looks like a yummy marbled coffee cake! Either way it is a very pretty soap, whether that is the particular pretty you were going for or a happy accident :)

Suisan2 said:
An experiment that did NOT turn out the way I expected.

I was looking for a 100% Olive Oil soap with a peachy swirl where the peachy section would be colored with safflower petal infused olive oil. (I made some melt and pour with safflower petals and have had electric yellow tea made from the petals, so was looking forward to seeing what they would do to oil.) Also, want to add some honey to olive oil to see what that does to lather.

Separated about 1/3 of my OO out and warmed it up with about 2 T of safflower petals. Hmm. Not much happened after 1 1/2 hour of gentle warming, so I tossed the idea and added some paprika to this portion.

Meanwhile, I measured out a a good amount of cardamon and orange, along with a touch of sweet thyme essential oils.

On soap calc I divided my larger OO batch into a 2/3 and 1/3 portion, mixed up my two lye solutions and added about 2 T of honey to my larger lye solution (1700g total oil weight).

Mixed up my larger OO solution until just before trace and mixed the paprika-oil until light trace (smaller batch went faster -- learned that too).

Poured about half my larger batch into mold, added essential oils to paprika section and BOOM. Soap on a stick.

Forgot to split essential oils into thirds and added the entire amount to smaller portion. OK. Won't do that again.

Scooped up my paprika section, chunked it down into mold, slammed mold on table a few times, and poured remaining amount of oil on top. Realized I still had the safflower petals which remained after draining the oil off them, so I sprinkled those on top of the loaf, covered and cleaned up.

In the middle of the night it occurred to me that I had intended to cut my next OO batch while it was still warm so as to prevent over-hardening. So at about 2 in the morning I checked on the soap -- warm on the sides but cool to the touch on top. I achieved gel on the paprika section so it was still mushy inside, but the outside was firming up, and I cut it anyways.

That was on Saturday -- pictures of my slices today (Tuesday). It's sort of ugly pretty. Once it cures I'll probably rebatch it -- but like some sort of odd tropical plant, it's beginning to grow on me.

100_0441.jpg

It's not a swirl, exactly.

100_0438.jpg

100_0437.jpg

I guess I have to read up on rebatching now.

Looks great i would NOT re-batch that soap!

Back