Ugly Cocoa butter bath melts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busymakinsoap!

Reaction score
I'm trying to make cocoa butter bath melts - which I am having sooo much trouble with its embarrassing.

Simple recipe:
90% CB
8% coconut oil
2% FO

I cant get them to set properly, they are all mottled and holey. I have searched and searched, but cant find any info on this problem. The best info I can find is on chocolate recipe websites.

I thought it might have seized from water somewhere, so tried again and again. (4 batches)
Thought it might have been tempering (although recipes on the web never mention it) so I tempered, and tempered. (i've remelted some batches 3 times!)

I'm wondering if CO and CB don't mix well together? could it be room temp solid oils with different melting/hardening temps?
It's so frustrating. I've never had this problem with my lotion bars, just this easy peasy recipe

they mix fine - try putting them into the freezer immediately after putting into the mold.

what FO are you using, and from where? did you try making without it?

I've used a couple of different flavours from sweet cakes - ginger, clean and sandalwood and vanilla. Last night I tried eucalyptus and mint EO, it still did it really bad, but I read a trick re tempering - to melt all oils and save a couple of chunks of CB to stir in till it melts (apparently this attracts something) so I did that and they are 98% ok.

I wondered about the temps when setting. I will try the freezer. The motteling is only ever on the top layer and you can see it straight away, it seems to be the first part of the melt to set

Back