Tweak this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant

Reaction score
I've tried quite a few recipes, by no means as many as you others have tried I'm sure, but so far I like this one the most. It makes a stable, creamy, dense medium bubbles lather. I haven't tried it with sodium lactate or the sodium citrate additives yet but hopefully improves lather and easier unmolding.

The only thing I'm not liking is that a bar lasts me about two weeks but I do shower twice a day. I want to see if I can get it to be a little longer lasting without sacrificing the lather too much.

I was thinking about making the castor 5% and adding that to something else since a lot of you say you don't notice much a difference.

10% SF is too high probably, maybe contributing to its shorter usage?

Any suggestions?

10% SF
33% lye concentration

30% Olive oil
25% Palm oil
20% Coconut oil
15% Lard
10% Castor oil

Screenshot_20200612-203218_saponiCalc.jpg
Screenshot_20200612-203225_saponiCalc.jpg
Screenshot_20200612-205540_saponiCalc.jpg
Screenshot_20200612-203229_saponiCalc.jpg

Try this, its just a little different but might help some. Use 2 - 5 superfat.
25% palm
25% lard
25% olive oil
20% coconut
5% castor.

You could also omit the palm and use 50% lard.

My absolutely longest last recipe is 80% lard, 20% coconut. Its not super lathery but is creamy and lasts stupid long. I did use citric acid to help with the soap scum as lard seems to make more. Its a favorite of mine.

Thank you for the suggestions. Will have to try with the adjustments you suggested and will give the 80% lard a go. Lard is the easiest and cheapest oil for me to get my hands on. Assuming you do a 2 to 5 superfat with that recipe too?

Similar to @Obsidian, I like 75% lard, 20% CO, and 5% castor oil, at 5% SF. I was doing higher SF but found it wasn’t really needed since the lard is so conditioning.

Sometimes I use 5% shea (subtracted from the lard) but I’ve been out of shea for awhile, and am finding that I like the bars just as much without it.

I do like to add powdered goat milk to my oils before adding in the lye liquid, which is vinegar + sugar. I also add sodium lactate at emulsion. The bars have such nice gentle lather, and they do last.

Latest posts

Back