Tussah Silk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
topcat said:
Basically noil is the cruelty free silk and soaps exactly the same. HTH!

Tanya :)

Tanya, I don't mean to be picky, but noil isn't necessarily Cruelty Free. Noil refers to the length of the fibers, chopped or noil. Still harvested by killing the worm.

Somewhere I posted something about the terms used to describe silk, I'll see if I can find it.

*edited because I found it!
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... ght=tussah

I read somewhere that you can use a small square of silk fabric dissolved in the lye. I am going to check at my local Indian Grocery store. It may be cheaper than paying shipping. We'll see.

Okay, got it Deda. Sorry, it was my understanding that 'noil' was used to describe the shorter, weaker fibres of a silk cocoon caused by the moth eating throught the cocoon and damaging the silk. Therefore I drew the opinion that it meant the moth had emerged and = cruelty free as I understand it. So why do they chop fibres before the moth has emerged? Me confused now...... :? :wink:

This is the answer that I just got when I asked:

Sorry. I do not have a clue.
Thank you for your interest.

I feel awful...I don't know what to do...Advice please...

this is the email address btw:
[email protected]

I got mine on ebay about 6 months ago, it was cruelty free . I just tried to find the seller and she is not selling anymore.

Kitn

Noil is the waste silk, left over after the long strands have been combed out.

Jaderyn said:
This is the answer that I just got when I asked:

Sorry. I do not have a clue.
Thank you for your interest.

I feel awful...I don't know what to do...Advice please...

this is the email address btw:
[email protected]

Don't feel awful. Honestly, unless you have entered into some agreement where you promising to only use cruelty free supplies, I think you should use it. It would be a greater tragedy to have it go to waste once you already bought it.

If you decide to go cruelty free next time you'll know what to look for.

bombus said:
I read somewhere that you can use a small square of silk fabric dissolved in the lye. I am going to check at my local Indian Grocery store. It may be cheaper than paying shipping. We'll see.

wow, that's great.
There are many shops of fabric leftovers, here!
Does silk has to be white? Will colored silk keep its color in soap?

Deda,

Thanx for the link ... I've been shopping with Scent Works for awhile. They're in my state so shipping is reasonable and their silk prices are good too. Big plus for the cruelty free; I didn't even know they had silk!! You rock.

Well, there's your next experiment- Let us know how it works out :)

Silk

I made my first batch of silk soap in December. I love it and plan on adding silk to every batch I make. I added a wad about the size of the end of my thumb to a 4 pound batch. It does have a wonderful effect in the finished bars of soap. Plus, people get so intrigued when I tell them that the soap has silk in it.

I use silk in every soap that I make - I haven't had a problem with it at all and I find it adds that something extra to my soaps. Customers always comment on how different my soaps feel to others that they have used.

wow, that's great.

Be careful, LaVale- I visited my Indian grocery store and the guy told me that the silk-like fabrics are all polyester now. The only true silk he had came in authentic saris (from India), not the yardage. It would be cheaper to get it on the internet.

bombus said:
wow, that's great.

Be careful, LaVale- I visited my Indian grocery store and the guy told me that the silk-like fabrics are all polyester now. The only true silk he had came in authentic saris (from India), not the yardage. It would be cheaper to get it on the internet.

Hello!
Thanks for the warning! I will keep my eyes open. I usually buy fabric in shops of leftovers, and they list their composition (most of them are polyester, but they also have silk. Here we have very famous silk factory, more expensive from the ones from India, and sometimes they have leftovers).
And I will ask my friend, who makes dresses, to keep any single piece of leftovers from wedding dresses :)

x

i use a dye free 100% silk tissue. it is fabric that is extremely thin. i use about a 2" x 2" square and unravel some of it and finely snip the rest. wet it first then add lye. stir it occasionally. it dissolves best when lye is hot.

LaVale - since you live close to a silk fabric manufacturer perhaps you could buy raw silk from them prior to it being processed? Then amount that you need is so tiny per batch that it would be worth approaching them....

Back