Tussah Silk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlewis17

Reaction score
Where does everyone buy their tussah silk? Can you really tell a difference in the soap? I wanted to try some, but I don't know how much to use.

I ordered some from Soap Making Resource a while ago. A 4 ounce bag will last a very long time. I just put a pinch in the lye water, usually about the size of a cotton ball for a 5lb batch.

I ordered mine from The Scent Works. It's advertised as "cruelty-free" and I think I have a lifetime supply as a little goes a looooong way!
I really can't compare tussah silk from the different vendors, as I used liquid silk from Bramble Berry up until now.

I got mine on Ebay, and like the other posters, the amount that I got will probably last a lifetime.

Is the raw silk better in soaps or liquid silk? Will the soap have a silly look?

Is the raw silk better in soaps or liquid silk? Will the soap have a silly look?

Never used liquid. Always used tussah and put it in the lye water before adding the lye. Once in a while there might be a small something that I fish out but that's about it. It dissolves in the lye and is fine. Go forth and wet your tussah! No, the soap will not have a silly look. Nothing to see. Wish I could blame that on some of the soap I've made. The only thing that looked silly was me.

Hush Hazel! Don't even start...

Thanks so much. I will order tussah silk today. I love Soap Making Forum. Everyone is so helpful!

Can you tell a difference in the texture of the soap when you use silk?

Back