Tussah Silk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I made up a regular recipe and added the chopped up Tussah Silk tonight. I don't think I cut it up fine enough but will rectify that on the next batch.

What I noticed was that the batch started moving really fast. The recipe is a fast tracer anyway but tonight I had to move really quickly. Has anyone else noticed this with the addition of silk or should I blame the Rose FO?

I soaped the Rose FO last night (same recipe without the silk) and it didn't trace as quickly but the other variable tonight was that I used Pomace Olive Oil instead of Virgin Olive Oil. I suppose that could be it? Opinions please.

I started tossing a tuft of tussah into the water before I add the lye and haven't noticed any change at all as far as acceleration.

I put the silk in the lye water Tess but I added it after I had put in all of the sodium hydroxide. Do you chop it up into tiny bits?

No ma'am, I just pull the tuft off of the big clump (I got a plastic baggie full of it off of eBay, just a big wad of the stuff) and toss it into the container with the water. When I add the lye I try to pour a good portion of it over the silk, but I don't know if that really makes any difference or not.

Add it into the water BEFORE adding the lye (getting it fully saturated with water) and the lye will dissolve it pretty fast.

Thanks for the info. :wink: Ok, so I put the silk fibres in the water first and then add lye. Check. I do so hope it adds some magical quality Clare because I now have 100g of the fuzzy stuff. :roll:

artisan soaps said:
[quote="Bubbles Galore":2hd2wu3n]Thanks for the info. :wink: Ok, so I put the silk fibres in the water first and then add lye. Check. I do so hope it adds some magical quality Clare because I now have 100g of the fuzzy stuff. :roll:

Unfortunately so do I, and you only need half a cotton buds amount in a kilo of oil to feel the difference - extra 'slip' .. Hopefully you like it!

I'm just more a scrubby/exfoliating bar kinda girl ;)[/quote:2hd2wu3n]

Only half the head of a cotton bud? Oops! I read 1g per 2.5kg of oils somewhere (I think it was the link that MagiaDellaLuna gave) and added accordingly. :wink:

Bubbles Galore said:
Only half the head of a cotton bud? Oops! I read 1g per 2.5kg of oils somewhere (I think it was the link that MagiaDellaLuna gave) and added accordingly. :wink:

Beth of Gracefruit suggests 1 g per 2.5 kg of oils. I have so much of it that I use 1 g per kg of oils :lol: and it definitely makes for a very luxurious feeling soap. I used shavings of that in Sunkawakan's pectin style liquid soap and have been washing my hair with it. My hair is in much better condition from all that lovely protein from the silk.

Your faster trace will definately be due to the pomace oil rather than the virgin olive.

Pomace oil contains a lot of unsaponifiables that will excelerate the trace considerably. It can also contain chemicals since that is often what is used to 'squeeze' the last bit of oil out of the olives.

i put tussah in all of mine. i purchased a large bag of it that was in a long bat about half inch by an inch. if i put more than 2" or so in a 2.5 pound batch, it won't all dissolve easily.

i don't use the bleached or colored. i use the natural with flecks of cocoon in it (the flecks don't dissolve in the lye, but are chopped up with sb'ing)

i wouldn't soap w/o my silk. it is so luxurious feeling :)

That's good to know Salty. I'm pacing up and down in front of that soap as we speak, willing it to be ready. :roll: I could probably try a bit now, but I'll exercise some restraint and wait a bit more. It's very exciting.

Bubbles Galore said:
That's good to know Salty. I'm pacing up and down in front of that soap as we speak, willing it to be ready. :roll: I could probably try a bit now, but I'll exercise some restraint and wait a bit more. It's very exciting.

Go on. You know you want to :wink:

I cut 2 logs of Milk, Silk and Honey this morning and go to check on them obsessively every 30 minutes as though that will make them cure faster.

Latest posts

Back