trying to find lye locally is a major pain!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've looked and looked at Menard's but didn't see any. Did you have to ask for it or was it on the shelf? I've even called before but didn't want to just say "do you have lye?" ... I asked for sodium hydroxide and they had no clue what I was talking about, lol.

kaeliliy,
It was with the drain cleaners, it's rooto brand but you don't realy notice that. In red letters it says...Household, under that it says 100% Lye in yellow, and in blue letters it says Drain Opener. I didn't have to ask. goodluck.

shee said:
OK, well the thing is, I had my DH go on his way home from work and he asked for lye. they said, NOPE. can't sell it bc of meth people. so he didn't even look. I wonder if they have it anyways. now I want to look!! i just want to get started ya know?

is it true that it is ok to store it in the trunk of your car so that it is far far away from kids?

Sometimes they are negligent in knowing whether or not lye is actually available. Check your plumbing section of your local hardware store. Sometimes they have no idea that it is there, they are just trained to say "nope, too dangerous."

Try your hardware store and I'm not sure about storing it in your trunk in various weather conditions. I store mine in my chemical cabinets and I have a 2 year old in the house. If you take the proper precautions, you'll be fine.

MrsFusion said:
The only place I can buy it locally is True Value Hardware and it's $7 for a 16oz bottle.

Ouch. Here I buy it at the local Ace Hardware store and I pay, after taxes, $3.77 for 16 oz. I'm going to go order a case...wonder if they'll look at me funny...LOL

Sadly around me noone carries it. So i oreded it online from AAA . Gonna need order more soon.

well I called around and found out that they have some at the local ace hardware. you know, the place I sent my DH to the other day to get some? :lol: this is why I should send myself. LOL

Latest posts

Back