Trying to decrease cost of Vegan/Palm-free, soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best price I've found for Coconut Oil and it soaps great! Free delivery for pick up at a local store.
https://www.dollartree.com/butcher-boy-refined-coconut-oil-725oz-jars/257945
That's amazing, thank you!

Best price I've found for Coconut Oil and it soaps great! Free delivery for pick up at a local store.
Is there any noticeable difference between this and the Coconut 76?

OMG! Butcher Boy is packaged by Soapers Choice in Des Plaines IL! How cool is that!
Thanks.gif

Is there any noticeable difference between this and the Coconut 76?
TIP: Always check the reviews on something like this before buying. I was happy to see that the 3rd reviewer used it to make soap! That's a pretty good sign.

@NativeSoap Another TIP: Use the "Edit" button in the lower left corner to add questions or comments to your original post. It's there for 24 hours so feel free to use it the next day if you need to correct something. :thumbs: ;)

Everything everyone said. And, here is the best price for coconut oil I have found. https://www.biglots.com/product/100-pure-refined-coconut-oil-102-oz-/p810377824?pos=1:1 They frequently (well, sometimes) have 20% off coupons and that’s when I stock up. It works out to $0.12/ounce.
This is the one I use, as well. It is a wonderful option for soapers! They used to offer free shipping for orders over $50, which is no longer offered in my area. Thankfully I have a Big Lots in my town. Their price is a little less expensive than my local Costco, and much cheaper Soaper's Choice, since SC's shipping fees to my area usually double the cost of purchase, even for bulk orders.

@Zany_in_CO , thank you for the welcome!
You're welcome!
In the Basic Trinity of Oils recipes, all either use lard or palm. If trying to stay vegan and palm-free, is there really any way around this while still making the affordable soap?
I have 2 suggestions:

1) Shea butter is worth the cost in terms of how good it is in soap and has strong label appeal. Keep in mind, if selling, you get a good return on your investment because shea sells! Zany's 67% Shea Butter Recipe

2) Partially Hydrogenated Soy Oil that's what Crisco used to be made from. Makes creamy lather. Back in the day, I could buy it at Costco. I don't know where you can get it today. It's not the same as soy wax (fully hydrogenated soy) but many members like soy wax in vegan / palm-free soaps.

You're welcome!

I have 2 suggestions:

1) Shea butter is worth the cost in terms of how good it is in soap and has strong label appeal. Keep in mind, if selling, you get a good return on your investment because shea sells! Zany's 67% Shea Butter Recipe

2) Partially Hydrogenated Soy Oil that's what Crisco used to be made from. Makes creamy lather. Back in the day, I could buy it at Costco. I don't know where you can get it today. It's not the same as soy wax (fully hydrogenated soy) but many members like soy wax in vegan / palm-free soaps.
@Zany_in_CO, thanks for the suggestions. The first couple of recipes I try will actually include @KiwiMoose 's recipe which includes both Shea and soy wax ingredients. :)

I have bookmarked both of these links to refer back to. Great info! The Shea butter cost scares me, but maybe one day I'll be able to pull off the 67% Shea recipe. :)

When I was first starting out and experimenting with different recipes, I purchased Pure Soapmaking by Anne-Marie Failoa and Simple & Natural Soapmaking by Jan Berry. The one by Jan Berry is full of palm free recipes, and I didn’t find them too expensive to make. It was a fun way to try recipes without having to come up with them on my own.

I, too, purchase my olive and coconut oils from Sam’s Club, which saves me greatly on shipping as I can order in advance and then pick it up. I get my bulk shea butter from Bulk Apothecary, as well as my almond, hemp, and castor oils. If Essential Wholesale is having an awesome sale, I’ll go there. BA has some pretty high shipping rates, but they do ship quickly. It still ends up being cheaper by the ounce (for me) to order from them. I wish there were more bulk shops within driving distance, but meh. I hope this helps.

When I was first starting out and experimenting with different recipes, I purchased Pure Soapmaking by Anne-Marie Failoa and Simple & Natural Soapmaking by Jan Berry. The one by Jan Berry is full of palm free recipes, and I didn’t find them too expensive to make. It was a fun way to try recipes without having to come up with them on my own.

I, too, purchase my olive and coconut oils from Sam’s Club, which saves me greatly on shipping as I can order in advance and then pick it up. I get my bulk shea butter from Bulk Apothecary, as well as my almond, hemp, and castor oils. If Essential Wholesale is having an awesome sale, I’ll go there. BA has some pretty high shipping rates, but they do ship quickly. It still ends up being cheaper by the ounce (for me) to order from them. I wish there were more bulk shops within driving distance, but meh. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the book recommendations! Yeah, I'm getting my olive oil from Sams. I'll check out their coconut oil too! Someone told me about getting CO from Dollar Tree, so I've ordered a case of that, which they ship to store to avoid shipping costs. I'll compare pricing between these two places!

Thanks for the info on the Jam Berry book and or having palm free recipes. Might be a good starting point! Im trying not to get overwhelmed with all the recipe stuff but it's hard to avoid!

Thanks again!

Do you blend it into your oil bottles, or is adding it and then just shaking the oil bottles, etc ok?
You have to find out the strength of the ROE that you buy and then read DeeAnna’s instructions. I use <1ml of ROE per litre of oil. It’s a tiny amount. I measure it with a jewellery scale and pour a bit of oil from a brand new bottle into a cup and mix them. Then I pour that mixture back into my oil bottle and shake it. Each time I use the oil I shake it again to make sure it stays distributed. I do that with all my oils except castor and coconut oils.

Everything everyone said. And, here is the best price for coconut oil I have found. https://www.biglots.com/product/100-pure-refined-coconut-oil-102-oz-/p810377824?pos=1:1 They frequently (well, sometimes) have 20% off coupons and that’s when I stock up. It works out to $0.12/ounce.
Awesome! I went to your link and they were offering 15% off an order to sign up. Where I live, it looks like it's a limit of 3 and they don't deliver here. Still a good deal. I can always place multiple orders and save on shipping by picking up at the store. :)

Back