Truly clear liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think there is anything out there that will give you a crystal clear liquid soap. Its just the nature of the beast. You can try using clearer oils, but they still have to cook, which will impact the end color.

Let us know how it turns out!

the hue of the liquid (yellow/amber, whatever) is determined by your oils. i don't know off hand which oils would give you more of a water-white.

I might have to try this method. I was reading it yesterday and it looks simple enough.
I like the fact you don't have to neutralize. That's what has always tripped me up in the past.
Thank you for the link!
However I have no idea on how to get the clear/clear you want. Like carebear said, the color/hue of the soap is determined by the oils you use.

I ran this recipe through SoapCalc, and it gives me the same KOH amount as the recipe when I put in 4% super fat. However, the water amount to dissolve the KOH is quite different than the recipe. She gives a 3:1 Water:KOH ratio and SoapCalc gives 1.962:1. Why would that be?

I'm sorry if this is a very basic question. I assume it's to do with the "standard" 38% water as % of oils. What exactly does this mean/do?

More water makes liquid soap easier to work with.

It doesn't matter if you dissolve the lye at 3:1 or 2:1, but sometimes later during the cooking process you'll want more water, unless you wish to break the spoon while stirring.

I can't comment about the clear liquid soap, but I wanted to thank you for that link! Loved it. Off to make some liquid soap.

Liquid soap is made! It's a really light color, not amber at all. I used Kirkland Olive Oil (Costco) and coconut oil (per her recipe). Now it's evaporating in the crock pot to thicken up a little. I did save some out for the foam pump in the bathroom so I left it the original consistency.

Thanks again for the link! I'm no longer a liquid soap virgin.

kharmon320 said:
Liquid soap is made! It's a really light color, not amber at all. I used Kirkland Olive Oil (Costco) and coconut oil (per her recipe). Now it's evaporating in the crock pot to thicken up a little. I did save some out for the foam pump in the bathroom so I left it the original consistency.

Thanks again for the link! I'm no longer a liquid soap virgin.

It's on my list for next weekend. I made some a couple years ago, using the link/directions on About.com, but it didn't turn out. I just don't get the whole dilution/neutralization bit. I know, I know it shouldn't be difficult, but I just didn't get it.
I'm hoping this one is better. LOL

It really was quite easy. However, I had some concerns about my trusty SB, so I gave it up before the "taffy" stage because it (SB) was so hot. But, my arms got a much-needed workout using the whisk.

It never really looked translucent to me, but it had cooked longer than it said and it was "zap" negative. It was a really shiny mashed potato consistency, just not translucent. It didn't look like the translucent vaseline stage that my HP soap goes through. We'll see. It lathers great. Hope it works in the foamer.

Back