trouble with pigments!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizflowers42

Reaction score
I have been dabbing into pigments more and more, but seem to be running into very thick trace! I mix 2 teaspoons of pigment in some of the oil I reserve from my recipe. I don't know if I am over mixing, but when I add the colored oil mixture to my batch it thickens very quickly! What am I doing wrong? Should I be hydrating them with water or glycerine instead? Thanks!:wave:

Mmm. I don't know. It seems weird. Not sure if it'll help, but I do mix my pigments with water. They seem to disperse better.

I don't know what kind of pigment you are using, but nothing I have used has affected trace for me. Try bringing you soap just to the emulsified stage then mix some with your colorant before adding back. This will give you some extra stirring time and maybe help. If over mixing is the problem.

Are you mixing your pigment in by hand for awhile before you take your SB to it? I like to get it blended really good by hand then stickblend for a second so I'm not bringing it to too heavy of a trace.

Sometimes TD can accelerate trace. I mix my pigment in about an ounce of my oil, and mix with a mini frother to make sure it is mixed well. Then I let it sit for a bit to let the bubbles settle. I add my color just before I am ready to pour into my mold. I haven't noticed accelerated tracing with my pigments. I also soap room temp, and have a very light trace if any when I mix in my pigment and FO.

I don't know what kind of pigment you are using, but nothing I have used has affected trace for me. Try bringing you soap just to the emulsified stage then mix some with your colorant before adding back. This will give you some extra stirring time and maybe help. If over mixing is the problem.
It's from WSP.

Are you mixing your pigment in by hand for awhile before you take your SB to it? I like to get it blended really good by hand then stickblend for a second so I'm not bringing it to too heavy of a trace.
Yes, I hand mix it first.

Sometimes TD can accelerate trace. I mix my pigment in about an ounce of my oil, and mix with a mini frother to make sure it is mixed well. Then I let it sit for a bit to let the bubbles settle. I add my color just before I am ready to pour into my mold. I haven't noticed accelerated tracing with my pigments. I also soap room temp, and have a very light trace if any when I mix in my pigment and FO.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my “mini frother!!”. :razz:. Don't think I could color soap without it :/

Liz, try mixing with water. WSP site says their pigments are water soluble so see if that helps.

Latest posts

Back