Triple Milled Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melstan775

Reaction score
Well, I was going to soap today (finally make some CP anyway, yay) and my enthusiasm was taken away by some bad news that made me really angry. Having enough sense left not to handle dangerous tools when I'm pissed off, I put away all my new tools I just went shopping for. One point for maintaining self-control in the face of danger, woot! Now I am sitting in my computer chair, hands crossed in my lap and pretending everything is okay. :angel: See. I even have a halo.

That brings me to my point. Now that I am calm enough, I can remember a question I've been meaning to ask for awhile. What the heck is triple milled soap exactly? It's more then a rebatch and it produces a hard bar,that much I know. Does anyone know more about this process and can it be done for small batch production? Crabtree & Evelyn and the Barre Co sell hard bars made in this manner.

Not sure but what comes to my mind is soap that is made grated melted and resoap anf this is done three times. That way all water is out of it and it would be a very hard bar. Sounds like too much work to me. :)

Sounds like it would peel and split too, neb. What can I say, I love hard smooth bars.

And here I was thinking it was just an idiotic marketing gimmick ;)

And here I was thinking it was just an idiotic marketing gimmick ;)

I'm serious I love hard white smooth bars like commercial bars. they are silky and lotiony feeling, and if there's a way to get home made bars feel like that I want to know about it. -.- I know the ones I like from Banks & Noble are pretty smooth. They are also called triple milled and are made with just coconut and palm oil.

Found on e-how

"Triple milled soaps, or French milled soaps, are made of a typical combination of a fatty acid (oil or fat) in reaction with lye (sodium hydrochloride). After the soap is made, it is dried into crystals, then rolled at least three times between large stainless steel rollers until a paste is formed. The paste is then pressed into soap molds, and triple milled soap is created"

Read more: What Is Triple Milled Soap? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_4967334_what-triple-milled-soap.html#ixzz2LEE035o6

Not sure but what comes to my mind is soap that is made grated melted and resoap anf this is done three times. That way all water is out of it and it would be a very hard bar. Sounds like too much work to me. :)

Thats what came into my mind as well.

I saw that one Shannon, so what does it mean? Does it mean super smoothy bars can't be made at home? That would be the sadness. What do y'all suggest for super gliding smooth pretty bars?

Found on e-how

"Triple milled soaps, or French milled soaps, are made of a typical combination of a fatty acid (oil or fat) in reaction with lye (sodium hydrochloride). After the soap is made, it is dried into crystals, then rolled at least three times between large stainless steel rollers until a paste is formed. The paste is then pressed into soap molds, and triple milled soap is created"

Read more: What Is Triple Milled Soap? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_4967334_what-triple-milled-soap.html#ixzz2LEE035o6

That is deep. How do they dried the soap till crystals..

And how did the crystals end up as a paste?

Well, commerial soap is made with tallow and or lard. That's why they are also so hard and soomth. I know mine are too and I use lard. But it also might be the detergents they use.

There you go!

and this is how Savon de Marseille is made, which is the typical milled soap

Last edited by a moderator:
There is some confusion because "hand-milled" usually refers to a rebatch soap that is grated up and cooked, but French-milled or triple-milled soap is a commercial process where the soap is forced into a very dense hard compacted bar, as a previous poster linked to. HP soap or cooked soap is not the same as "milled" soap.

It is possible to get a hard, creamy white bar of soap, but no, short of investing a lot of money in a lot of large equipment, you will never be able to get a soap as dense and hard as commercial soap. I would suggest using tallow.

There is some confusion because "hand-milled" usually refers to a rebatch soap that is grated up and cooked, but French-milled or triple-milled soap is a commercial process where the soap is forced into a very dense hard compacted bar, as a previous poster linked to. HP soap or cooked soap is not the same as "milled" soap.

It is possible to get a hard, creamy white bar of soap, but no, short of investing a lot of money in a lot of large equipment, you will never be able to get a soap as dense and hard as commercial soap. I would suggest using tallow.

Any idea of what sort of pressure (psi) that they use when pressing the soap pieces together? I doubt it would be practical for those selling soaps, but it might be achievable for someone who was just curious if they could create a really hard bar of soap as a personal experiment. Maybe with a die and mold with an arbor press? I tried something similar with a short piece of 2" PVC pipe and a plunger that I made on a lathe that would just fit inside the pipe. By my calculations, I was putting around 60 psi on it by just putting my weight on it. I haven't tried using an arbor press with it yet. I used it to reform the odd shaped hot process soap bars into a consistent diameter round bar. It was not a process that would be applicable for someone selling soap though since it was not perfectly smooth in texture afterwards, but after you had washed your hands with it the first time, the bar looked better. :)

I would have posted this in a new thread, but for some reason, the option to create a new thread is not showing up on my screen. So, I just did a search for milled soap and found what I thought was the most appropriate thread to add it to.

Does anyone know more about this process and can it be done for small batch production?

Sure. You'll need a soap noodler ($3500) unless you plan on hand grating your soap, a milling press ($10,000) and a soap press ($3500).

:)

I would have posted this in a new thread, but for some reason, the option to create a new thread is not showing up on my screen. So, I just did a search for milled soap and found what I thought was the most appropriate thread to add it to.

You're a new member and thus are limited on what you can and cannot do.

Last edited by a moderator:

At my age, the same could be said about life in general... :( Can't sneak up on my wife anymore because she hears my joints creaking from the other side of the house... :(

Well, I was going to soap today (finally make some CP anyway, yay) and my enthusiasm was taken away by some bad news that made me really angry. Having enough sense left not to handle dangerous tools when I'm pissed off, I put away all my new tools I just went shopping for. One point for maintaining self-control in the face of danger, woot! Now I am sitting in my computer chair, hands crossed in my lap and pretending everything is okay. :angel: See. I even have a halo.

That brings me to my point. Now that I am calm enough, I can remember a question I've been meaning to ask for awhile. What the heck is triple milled soap exactly? It's more then a rebatch and it produces a hard bar,that much I know. Does anyone know more about this process and can it be done for small batch production? Crabtree & Evelyn and the Barre Co sell hard bars made in this manner.
https://honeysweetieacres.com/artisan-soap-vs-triple-milled-soap/

Apart from the fact that this thread is ancient ... I'm not aware of new members being unable to post new threads in this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back