Trace rising in temperature?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeWarren

Reaction score
Trace was rising in temperature as soon as I added the lye. Why? The oil was 125 Lye was 120 When I mixed.

Saponification is an exothermic reaction (it liberates heat that was stored as chemical energy in the oils/lye before). This heat development is essential for techniques such as gelling/enforcing gel via insulation, or HTHP… but also can be dangerous (volcano). But it is a natural thing that happens in all soaps.

The word “trace” is usually reserved for a late state of the oil-lye mixture. Most recipes start with adding all of the lye to the oils. Only then the saponification reaction begins, that eventually creates trace; trace wasn't there first, it's the product at the end.

Saponification is an exothermic reaction (it liberates heat that was stored as chemical energy in the oils/lye before). This heat development is essential for techniques such as gelling/enforcing gel via insulation, or HTHP… but also can be dangerous (volcano). But it is a natural thing that happens in all soaps.

The word “trace” is usually reserved for a late state of the oil-lye mixture. Most recipes start with adding all of the lye to the oils. Only then the saponification reaction begins, that eventually creates trace; trace wasn't there first, it's the product at the end.
Could this be a reaction with thr aluminum pot that I mix the tracing?

yes

aluminium reacts with lye

use stainless steel, a chemical jug or a re-purposed #5 plastic jug that is thick and strong to mix lye or soap batter
not glass (lye is slowly corrosive to glass) and no aluminium (lye is rapidly corrosive to aluminium)

Could this be a reaction with thr aluminum pot that I mix the tracing?

yes

aluminium reacts with lye

use stainless steel, a chemical jug or a re-purposed #5 plastic jug that is thick and strong to mix lye or soap batter
not glass (lye is slowly corrosive to glass) and no aluminium (lye is rapidly corrosive to aluminium)

I did not use a aluminum pot for the lye. But I used aluminum pot for the oil and poured the lye into it. Would that still raise the temperature and start a external reaction?

yes

mixing your batter in an aluminium pot
will cause the batter to heat up

the pot will be consumed by the reaction
if you leave the batter in that pot for a short while the pot will get a hole and the hot caustic batter will spill everywhere

(exothermic got auto-spelled into external 🤣)

yes

mixing your batter in an aluminium pot
will cause the batter to heat up

the pot will be consumed by the reaction
if you leave the batter in that pot for a short while the pot will get a hole and the hot caustic batter will spill everywhere

(exothermic got auto-spelled into external 🤣)
Can I still use the soap that came from the mix in the aluminum pot? The first two batches of soap came out fine. The 3rd batch had a reaction

when i made this mistake (making soap in aluminium)
i decided not to apply the aluminium compounds i made to my skin
i threw out the soap (it turned gray) and the pot (it was damaged)

Soap batter heats up itself, regardless if it is in contact with aluminium or not.

On top of that, aluminium reacts with lye (be it in solution with water or dispersed in soap batter). You will have a contamination with a trace metal, of which experts don't agree how harmful it really is. Plus, the Al-hydroxide reaction will also consume lye, so that less lye is left for the actual saponification, and your recipe is messed up (excessive superfat).

I don't consider a soap safe if it had intimate contact with aluminium at any time.

I am confused by your meaning when you say tracing. I conclude that you are referring to soap batter, but please clarify.

Oils and lye solution will mix together and because this causes a chemical reaction that produces heat, the soap batter does heat up. This happens because that is how lye and oil react to each other.

Using tin or aluminum for mixing soap is not advised. Lye will interact with aluminum. I had some raw soap (the soap batter is raw soap) spill over onto aluminum foil (under the towel that 'protected' the foil, and it ate right through it and proceeded to begin eating through the aluminum pan below. I caught it in time to save the pan, but the foil had deteriorated from the interaction with the lye. Needless to say, I never use aluminum under my soap even with a towel to protect against spills.

Latest posts

Back