Too much oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapLushie

Reaction score
Hey there,
I just made some MP soap that does NOT lather very well. I used 6 oz. of the Shea base from Bramble Berry, and I added 1 Tbs. olive oil per a recipe from "Melt and Pour Soapmaking" by Marie Browning. I also had to add a *lot* more fragrance oil than the 5 drops recommended in the recipe. I just used the soap, and it won't hardly lather and I can barely smell it as I use it. Did I just add too much olive oil? I can add more soap base to thin out the olive oil, but if I remelt it, I'll prolly have to add more FO. I hope I can salvage this soap. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks so much!
Lushie

Hi all,
Sorry for posting before searching; I must admit that I "fell victim to one of the *classic* blunders!" I got all excited at finding this forum, and quickly posted my first question without searching the many previous posts first. After the fact, I did some rather extensive searching and got all of my questions answered very thoroughly. I went ahead and added more base, plus a little over a tsp. of liquid glycerin, not to mention much more fragrance, and now the soap lathers much better/tolerably well, and gives off a faint scent when being used. So, a big 'thank you' to all the many people whose posts I learned from!
Happy soaping, everyone!
-Lushie

Back