How much to add ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRNJJJV

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to soap making. I have been doing it for about a year and have all the basics down and now formulate my own recipes. All my soaps so far have been unscented out of fear of using essential oils. Even after reading numerous articles I’m still nervous about using EO in my soap. Long story short I’m getting ready to make a batch and would like to have some type of ocean type scent. I came across a blended scent from Edan’s Garden called Beach House. It’s a 10ml bottle. Here is a list of the blend of EOs:
Coconut CO2, Grapefruit- Pink, Orange- Sweet, Lime, Sandalwood, Tangerine, Sandalwood- Hawaiian, Lavender- Bulgarian, Juniper Berry, Galbanum (Ferula galbaniflua), Davana (Artemisia pallens), Damiana (Turnera diffusa), Violet Absolute (Viola odorata).

I don’t know if this is doable and I’m still a little unsure of how much to add. I have read 1oz per pound of base oils and other articles that measure by drops. Needless to say the bottle of EO isn’t very big. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hi, there should be a max usage rate on the bottle. ex, 2% of batch weight. Or that info should be on their web site.
I purchase a lot from Natures Garden. In every FO/EO description. There is a section on usage. good luck.

Hi, I’m new to soap making. I have been doing it for about a year and have all the basics down and now formulate my own recipes. All my soaps so far have been unscented out of fear of using essential oils. Even after reading numerous articles I’m still nervous about using EO in my soap. Long story short I’m getting ready to make a batch and would like to have some type of ocean type scent. I came across a blended scent from Edan’s Garden called Beach House. It’s a 10ml bottle. Here is a list of the blend of EOs:
Coconut CO2, Grapefruit- Pink, Orange- Sweet, Lime, Sandalwood, Tangerine, Sandalwood- Hawaiian, Lavender- Bulgarian, Juniper Berry, Galbanum (Ferula galbaniflua), Davana (Artemisia pallens), Damiana (Turnera diffusa), Violet Absolute (Viola odorata).

I don’t know if this is doable and I’m still a little unsure of how much to add. I have read 1oz per pound of base oils and other articles that measure by drops. Needless to say the bottle of EO isn’t very big. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Do you mean essential oils or fragrance oils? The one you have described sounds like an FO because coconut is not available as an essential oil to the best of my knowledge. There are a number of FOs that contain essential oils however. If it comes in a 10ml bottle my guess it's not intended for soap usage (unless it's a sample), since your average soaper would use approx. 30mls in a loaf batch size containing 1kg of oils.
Most reputable fragrance oil suppliers will tell you how much of each FO is safe to use in soap. And for essential oils, they all have their own maximum allowance based on the their constituents See https://www.eocalc.com/

Hello and welcome! I just read about coconut CO2 - it is in fact extracted from coconut, new to me. The blend you describe sounds nice, but the price is very high for scenting cold process soap. If you are committed to using essential oils I would start with lower priced ones and make your own blend. Some to start with are lavender 40/42, eucalyptus, peppermint, cedar, lemongrass, may Chang (Litsea cubeba). And I agree with @KiwiMoose EOcalc is a great resource and a great place to start.

Thank you for the feedback. Since I’m new to soap making would it be better to start with FO or EO. As I said in my first post I have been doing this for about a year now, but would like to start working with scenting my soaps now. I see essential oils can be pricey and I have no intention on selling as of yet until I gain more knowledge and hands on with my soaping. I have been passing my soaps out to family and friends for feedback and most are asking if I’m going to make some scented soaps now. If I’m aiming for an ocean scent or even something tropical could you please give me some ideas of blends and whether I should just start with FO or EO. May I also ask where you purchase your soaping supplies as far as FO/EO. With my next batch I would like to color my soap blue using indigo. I have read that some add the colorant to their lye water while others infuse it in oil before adding it. I would love some advice on working with indigo. Again I really appreciate the feedback.

I'd suggest fragrance oils. They are less expensive. Since you aren't selling, cheaper is better considering you're experimenting . MIdwest Fragrance is one of my favorite companies. I suggest High Tide.

I'd suggest fragrance oils. They are less expensive. Since you aren't selling, cheaper is better considering you're experimenting . MIdwest Fragrance is one of my favorite companies. I suggest High Tide.
Thank you! I will check them out.

I think the amount of the EO blend you described isn't going to be enough for anything more than a 1 lb batch - especially since the citrus notes will probably fade quickly. FO is a more economical choice. Read soaping notes, if available, and reviews carefully - ocean scents are often big accelerators.

My favorite suppliers are Nurture Soap, Majestic Mountain Sage, Bramble Berry, WSP and Fragrance Buddy. I haven't tried Midwest Fragrance yet, but I have heard good things.

I love the ocean, but have learned the hard way that while I love the scent IRL, I don't much like the kelp-y notes in soap. A couple of ocean fragrances that I've used, liked, and behaved well for me are Celestial Sea (FB, but to my nose more clean and fresh than ocean), Dark Waters (BB), and Sea Salt and Driftwood or Abalone and Sea (WSP).

I think the amount of the EO blend you described isn't going to be enough for anything more than a 1 lb batch - especially since the citrus notes will probably fade quickly. FO is a more economical choice. Read soaping notes, if available, and reviews carefully - ocean scents are often big accelerators.

My favorite suppliers are Nurture Soap, Majestic Mountain Sage, Bramble Berry, WSP and Fragrance Buddy. I haven't tried Midwest Fragrance yet, but I have heard good things.

I love the ocean, but have learned the hard way that while I love the scent IRL, I don't much like the kelp-y notes in soap. A couple of ocean fragrances that I've used, liked, and behaved well for me are Celestial Sea (FB, but to my nose more clean and fresh than ocean), Dark Waters (BB), and Sea Salt and Driftwood or Abalone and Sea (WSP).
Thank you! Could you please tell me how to calculate percentage of FO. This will be the first time scenting my soap and I’m a little nervous.

Thank you! Could you please tell me how to calculate percentage of FO. This will be the first time scenting my soap and I’m a little nervous.
It depends on how strong you like the fragrance to be, and how strong the FO is to begin with. I like strong fragrances and started at 1 oz PPO (per pound of oils), which is roughly 6%. Usually now I use .8 or even .75 ounce PPO (there is a place to enter this in so@p calc). When I use a fragrance that doesn't stick or give me enough scent at that amount, I won't buy it again. There are plenty of FOs to choose from that do. So, if I have 32 ounces of oils in my recipe, I will use up to 2 ounces of fragrance oil, assuming it is within the IFRA guidelines for that fragrance.

I don't sell, so sometimes my soaps will sit for a long time before they are used or given away, and while I expect them to fade somewhat, I want them to still be well scented for a long time. There are a few that are so strong I will back way down on the amount used, but that is unusual. The only way you can know for sure what is right for you is by making and evaluating the result.

It depends on how strong you like the fragrance to be, and how strong the FO is to begin with. I like strong fragrances and started at 1 oz PPO (per pound of oils), which is roughly 6%. Usually now I use .8 or even .75 ounce PPO (there is a place to enter this in so@p calc). When I use a fragrance that doesn't stick or give me enough scent at that amount, I won't buy it again. There are plenty of FOs to choose from that do. So, if I have 32 ounces of oils in my recipe, I will use up to 2 ounces of fragrance oil, assuming it is within the IFRA guidelines for that fragrance.

I don't sell, so sometimes my soaps will sit for a long time before they are used or given away, and while I expect them to fade somewhat, I want them to still be well scented for a long time. There are a few that are so strong I will back way down on the amount used, but that is unusual. The only way you can know for sure what is right for you is by making and evaluating the result.
Thank you!! It really helps to get feedback from seasoned soapers. Truly appreciate your feedback 😊

I use an FO called Ocean Breeze and it smells just so! I've had a quick look on the American suppliers' websites but have not found where it's from sorry. Maybe it's made in Australia?
I have an ocean breeze, which I use to make all the time, when I ran out I ordered more and it changed, it made my soap go yellow, I questioned them about the recipe changing but was told they didn't change it, haven't made it since. It was a lovely sea scent.

Fragrances are so subjective - as you start reading reviews you’ll see that a fragrance that smells just like the ocean to one person smells like hairspray or cheap cologne to someone else. Here are some ocean fragrances I have tried. Somehow I managed to mess up my spreadsheet so my fragrance notes aren’t lined up with my fragrances - but I like Ocean Breeze and Ocean Spray and Wild Sage from Scent Memory, 8th and Ocean (not really ocean, more beach), and Driftwood and Sea Salt. I didn’t like Ocean Rain or Private Island. Ocean Rain smelled so bad to me I had to throw out the soap and the fragrance. But others love it.
Watch for sales where you can get trial sizes for cheaper, a good way to see what you like.
Stone ShoreOceanYou will sense a rocky coastal shore with this exciting fragrance. Vodka and lemon scents are complimented by cardamon and lily of the valley, and grounded by oakmoss and sweet amber. This fragrance will entice your senses as you envision waves of cool water crashing among the rocks.Aztec Candle
Ocean ShoresOceanThis fresh and complex scent is inspired by Pacific Northwest beaches. It starts with notes of green apple, lily, fresh rain, and airy green flowers. Base notes of oakmoss, musk, and violet leaf add depth.Brambleberry
Beach sageOceanfloral herbalCalifornia Candle Supply
Driftwood and sea saltOceanA refreshing yet invigorating blend of woodland notes mixed alongside of tropical citrus aromas with bright and clean coastal air.California Candle Supply
Aqua*OceanWonderful water scent - feel the sea spray from the ocean air. Brings sparkling overtones of fresh ozone, sea spray, water greens infused with lily, white roses, peony, teakwood, freesia and soft whispers of sandalwood.Elements Bath and Body
Salty Sea AirOceanGentle breezes of salty tang and an ocean freshness so compelling, you can almost hear the waves and seagulls. Opening with an ozonic, sea breeze top-note, followed by notes of cyclamen, water lily and sea kelp, and finishing with a warm musk and driftwood base.Elements Bath and Body
Celestial SeaOceansalty, ozonic sea spray but what develops is an ocean musk built from sea moss, driftwood and sand. Hidden but slightly evident are crisp notes of soft violet, jasmine and lily rose.Fragrance Buddy
Salty MarinerOceanMusky Sea Weed, Green Ozone Ocean. This is a duplication of the original fragrance.Fragrance Buddy
OceanOceanLittle bee
Low tideOceanLittle Bee Scents
Ocean BreezeOceanGreen top notes with fresh floral, citrus, muguet and jasmine. Heart notes of hyacinth, rose, carnation and narcissus. A light musk at the base of the fragrance.New Directions Aromatics
8th & OceanOceanFrench vanilla, fresh air notes and summer flowers. Vanilla blossom fragrance begins with top notes of dewy fresh air, coconut cream, and ripe pineapple; followed by middle notes of ylang ylang, star jasmine, and Moroccan roses; sitting on base notes of French vanilla, Egyptian musk, and exotic sandalwoodNurture Soap
Mediterranean Sea saltOceansalty, ozonic and aquatic notes combine with a very soft muguet floral undertone no strong perfumey or overly floral notes, just pure calming "neutral" marine freshness. It soaps easily, no acceleration and turns only a very slight creme white.Oregon Trail
Coastal Neroli & Sparkling WatersOceancrisp citrus oils, floral notes, and amber undertonesScent Memory
Ocean BreezeOceanAquatic accord, Aldehydes Accord, Juniper Pure Jungle Essence; Middle notes: Coriander, Iris, RoseBase notes: Red Seaweed Pure Jungle Essence, Ambergris Accord, OrcanoxScent Memory
Ocean Spray and Wild SageOceanScent Memory
Private IslandOceancoconut, cardamom, pistachio, pink pepper, jasmine, tuberose, benzoin, amber, tonka beanScent Memory
Wood Sage & Sea SaltOceanWaves breaking white, the air fresh with sea salt and spray. Alive with the mineral scent of the rugged cliffs. Mingling with the woody earthiness of sage.Scent Memory
Cobalt Beach GlassOceanNotes of salty sea mist and summer melon rest upon beach glass, sand dunes and sun bleached driftwood.Wholesale Supplies Plus
Ocean RainOceanCrisp ozone notes with sea salt, orange and rose.Wholesale Supplies Plus
Salty Sea AirOceanWholesale Supplies Plus

It depends on how strong you like the fragrance to be, and how strong the FO is to begin with... enough scent at that amount, I won't buy it again. ...When I use a fragrance that doesn't stick or give me...
...assuming it is within the IFRA guidelines for that fragrance.

Ya... The supplier is going to tell you the most you can use by percentage. And from there, you can calculate by hand or put it into the lye calculator to figure it out for your self. And, if you are at max amount for that FO and it's not strong enough, better to pick a different one than to go over the guidelines (as @dibbles ) says.

Just a note regarding ocean/beach FO's, they tend to be accelerators. Always check soaping notes and reviews with them, you don't want to be taken by surprise if you are planning a design which takes time and the batter thickens up before you can do it. If there are no notes/reviews, I either test them or use them in a no/low design batch before doing anything complicated.

Just a note regarding ocean/beach FO's, they tend to be accelerators. Always check soaping notes and reviews with them, you don't want to be taken by surprise if you are planning a design which takes time and the batter thickens up before you can do it. If there are no notes/reviews, I either test them or use them in a no/low design batch before doing anything complicated.
The one I used never accelerated, that was one of the reasons I liked it, the batch was so easy to make, no hassles.

Fragrances are so subjective - as you start reading reviews you’ll see that a fragrance that smells just like the ocean to one person smells like hairspray or cheap cologne to someone else. Here are some ocean fragrances I have tried. Somehow I managed to mess up my spreadsheet so my fragrance notes aren’t lined up with my fragrances - but I like Ocean Breeze and Ocean Spray and Wild Sage from Scent Memory, 8th and Ocean (not really ocean, more beach), and Driftwood and Sea Salt. I didn’t like Ocean Rain or Private Island. Ocean Rain smelled so bad to me I had to throw out the soap and the fragrance. But others love it.
Watch for sales where you can get trial sizes for cheaper, a good way to see what you like.
Stone ShoreOceanYou will sense a rocky coastal shore with this exciting fragrance. Vodka and lemon scents are complimented by cardamon and lily of the valley, and grounded by oakmoss and sweet amber. This fragrance will entice your senses as you envision waves of cool water crashing among the rocks.Aztec Candle
Ocean ShoresOceanThis fresh and complex scent is inspired by Pacific Northwest beaches. It starts with notes of green apple, lily, fresh rain, and airy green flowers. Base notes of oakmoss, musk, and violet leaf add depth.Brambleberry
Beach sageOceanfloral herbalCalifornia Candle Supply
Driftwood and sea saltOceanA refreshing yet invigorating blend of woodland notes mixed alongside of tropical citrus aromas with bright and clean coastal air.California Candle Supply
Aqua*OceanWonderful water scent - feel the sea spray from the ocean air. Brings sparkling overtones of fresh ozone, sea spray, water greens infused with lily, white roses, peony, teakwood, freesia and soft whispers of sandalwood.Elements Bath and Body
Salty Sea AirOceanGentle breezes of salty tang and an ocean freshness so compelling, you can almost hear the waves and seagulls. Opening with an ozonic, sea breeze top-note, followed by notes of cyclamen, water lily and sea kelp, and finishing with a warm musk and driftwood base.Elements Bath and Body
Celestial SeaOceansalty, ozonic sea spray but what develops is an ocean musk built from sea moss, driftwood and sand. Hidden but slightly evident are crisp notes of soft violet, jasmine and lily rose.Fragrance Buddy
Salty MarinerOceanMusky Sea Weed, Green Ozone Ocean. This is a duplication of the original fragrance.Fragrance Buddy
OceanOceanLittle bee
Low tideOceanLittle Bee Scents
Ocean BreezeOceanGreen top notes with fresh floral, citrus, muguet and jasmine. Heart notes of hyacinth, rose, carnation and narcissus. A light musk at the base of the fragrance.New Directions Aromatics
8th & OceanOceanFrench vanilla, fresh air notes and summer flowers. Vanilla blossom fragrance begins with top notes of dewy fresh air, coconut cream, and ripe pineapple; followed by middle notes of ylang ylang, star jasmine, and Moroccan roses; sitting on base notes of French vanilla, Egyptian musk, and exotic sandalwoodNurture Soap
Mediterranean Sea saltOceansalty, ozonic and aquatic notes combine with a very soft muguet floral undertone no strong perfumey or overly floral notes, just pure calming "neutral" marine freshness. It soaps easily, no acceleration and turns only a very slight creme white.Oregon Trail
Coastal Neroli & Sparkling WatersOceancrisp citrus oils, floral notes, and amber undertonesScent Memory
Ocean BreezeOceanAquatic accord, Aldehydes Accord, Juniper Pure Jungle Essence; Middle notes: Coriander, Iris, RoseBase notes: Red Seaweed Pure Jungle Essence, Ambergris Accord, OrcanoxScent Memory
Ocean Spray and Wild SageOceanScent Memory
Private IslandOceancoconut, cardamom, pistachio, pink pepper, jasmine, tuberose, benzoin, amber, tonka beanScent Memory
Wood Sage & Sea SaltOceanWaves breaking white, the air fresh with sea salt and spray. Alive with the mineral scent of the rugged cliffs. Mingling with the woody earthiness of sage.Scent Memory
Cobalt Beach GlassOceanNotes of salty sea mist and summer melon rest upon beach glass, sand dunes and sun bleached driftwood.Wholesale Supplies Plus
Ocean RainOceanCrisp ozone notes with sea salt, orange and rose.Wholesale Supplies Plus
Salty Sea AirOceanWholesale Supplies Plus
Thank you for sharing!

I love Nuture Soaps 8th & Ocean that @Vicki C mentioned. I have a friend who takes a whole batch at a time for her hubby. It does move fast, but for simple designs, it’s fine.

ETA - just looked up the EO you asked about @SRNJJJV and 22.95 for 10ml is too rich for my blood, and I didn’t see a usage rate for soap.

Last edited:
Back