Too much EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMom

Reaction score
I think I may have put too much EO in some of my soaps. How do you know if you did? I don't want someone using them and then having problems with them. Any comments on the subject? Thanks!!

I put 1 oz. in each 2 lb. batch. I made a cinnamon, peppermint, lavender and lemon. The lemon seems to have settled down a bit but the others are still pretty strong smelling after curing for 4 weeks so thats why I'm a little concerned.

Could you put that in %? Cause I'n not really good ad converting, I use kilograms :wink:
The biggest trubble I think is the cinnamon; you don't have to have to many concerns about the lavender.

For me the same, the maths costet me my education :oops:
but I'll give it a try. I'll be back in a minute... Do you know how much you used of each specific oil?

I don't remember. I didn't even keep the recipe. It was one of the very first batches I did back in Dec. :oops: Since then I now know how important it is to write everything you do down so I'm more organized now. I'm still learning! :lol:

From what I have read, you can use .7 to 1 oz per pound depending on the EO. For stronger EO use the lesser amount. So you are fine Soapmom with what you have used.

You think so? I was just concerned because out of all the soaps I've made since then, they are the strongest smelling ones so I thought I may have put too much in them. I don't want someone to get irritated skin from them or something worse. Thanks for the comments and help!

Since then I now know how important it is to write everything you do down so I'm more organized now. I'm still learning!
True! Well, I really suck at the converting thing; I'd just use it on myself and see what happens :wink:
Hope it turned out fine :D

You should be fine with all of them except possibly the cinnamon....that's an irritant, and should be used sparingly. It will probably be fine as hand soap but I wouldn't use it on any sensitive parts of the body.

dagmar88 said:
Could you put that in %? Cause I'n not really good ad converting, I use kilograms :wink:
The biggest trubble I think is the cinnamon; you don't have to have to many concerns about the lavender.

1oz per 2lb is (1/(32))*100%=3.12% (fo per oil) not taking into consideration lye and water.

if you have used 4 oz lye (7% discount) and 12 oz water (full recommended) then the percentage of Fo in your soap patch will be
(1/(1+32+4+12)*100%=2%

Ok, I'm truly in AWE.

Yafa makes amazing, wonderful & beautiful soap.
AND might be the smartest soaper in the world. :lol:

I love the elegance of your formula. Being a total math idiot and unable to add without a calculator and the help of a teenager, I have copied that equation into my soaping notebook.

Thank you.

Oh thank you Deda, I am flattered...

P.S I love your lotion, the best lotion for my "super" sensitive skin

yafa said:
1oz per 2lb is (1/(32))*100%=3.12% (fo per oil) not taking into consideration lye and water.
I constrain the essential oils (EO's) to no more than 2.0-2.5% of the weight of the oils. Before venturing into soapmaking I made massage oils and that restraint was listed in two books on the subject. Since the rule applied to oil massage blends I think it is appropriate to apply to soapmaking. (In other words, the lye + water doesn't factor into the constraint.)

That being said, I don't think your soaps are so overloaded with EO's that they shouldn't be used, especially since you used Lavender EO which is one of the two EO's that can be directly applied safely to bare skin.

Hope that helps. The scent combo sounds quite nice!

Thank you guys! I do feel a better about it now. I'll watch out for the cinnamon and test it out first before giving it anyone. I love you guys!! You are always so very helpful! I've learned more from you guys than I have reading books!! Thanks again! :D

I so agree with jareet in that 2-2.5% should suffice. That would apply for a blend but you must be a bit more discerning when using them as the single scent.

To help you figure on a calculator, let's use your total oils, SoapMom, which is 32oz. To figure 2% of that, multiply 32 times .(point)02.
2.5% - 32 divided by .(point)025
1.5% - 32 divided by .(point)015
etc.

I hope this helps ya!

Latest posts

Back