too much colorant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehouse

Reaction score
Do any of you have suggestions on what to do with soap that has too much colorant? It bleeds into the washcloth but does not stain..washes out with a little rubbing. Is this something you would sale with a warning on the label :? Love the color...but boy is it intense. If I were to recycle it, what would be the best way to do so? Grate and incoorporate into new soap, soap balls, etc? Would love opinions on this. Thanks.

Which colorant??

I grate and put in with a new batch of white and that works out really well. I don't lose the soap that way. I've made soap balls once or twice but don't intend to do it again. Just not for me.

So - I say incorporated into a new batch. Maybe use chips of different colors for a mardi gras effect!

One soap was colored with a brown oxide and I mixed brick red oxide and purple pigment to try and get a soft cranberry color (did not work...way too much purple that did not dissolve). The swirl was pretty but clumps of colorant in the soap so I rebatched and ended up with a very purple bar. The other soap was colored with raspberry and purple pigments to get a very pretty dark and bold pink. I have since thrown out the purple pigment I used for coloring these soaps as it would not dissolve easily and I was getting too many specks of colorant in my soaps. I like your suggestion of the mardi gras effect. Those two colors would look good together. Thank you! Seems like no matter how long I soap (3+ years now) I am always faced with new challenges. I guess that is what makes this craft so intriguing to me.

Latest posts

Back