Too many additives?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverwolf

Reaction score
So I'm going to be making a batch of soap today and I wanted to play around with additives.I wanted to add a tsp of sugar, salt and corn starch but I'm worried I'm adding too many things. I also plan on using a brewed cocoa instead of water to dissolve the lye and adding the grounds to the soap for exfoliation. Should the grounds be completely dry before adding to the soap? Am I trying to do to much or any comments?

The trouble with using multiple additives is that if something goes wrong, you might not be able to spot what caused it.

I have no personal experience with this but I was just reading a post where someone commented that sugar and salt do not go well together.

When I made coffee soap everyone told me to use fresh grounds but I don't know if that would be the same for cocoa or not.

I went ahead and left out the starch and salt for this round and only used 1tsp of sugar. I went ahead and used fresh grounds on 1 bar and we'll see how that works. Oddly enough when I mixed lye with the brewed cocoa it made it smell like peanut oil. Should be interesting to see how the bars come out.

Use powdered sugar. It dissolves well and includes cornstarch!! I mentioned sugar does not mix well in salt bars. I used to use salt and sugar both in regular cp, but quit using salt since my bars are hard without it and I use powdered sugar. It dissolves so much easier.

Back