Too Little Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaileyK

Reaction score
Hello, I just made my first batch of cold process soap today. I made a stupid error, and miscalculated my lye by an ounce! Kicking myself for this thoughtless mistake. Anyway, I have read that you can rebatch by adding the missing lye to a "small amount" of cold water and cooking it in the crock pot using the hot process method. Is this advisable for someone who is brand new to soap making? If so, how long should I wait to do the rebatch, and how much is a "small amount" of water when we're talking about adding an ounce of lye? I don't want to have to throw out the batch, but if I must, I must. I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

1- lb batch. The recipe only called for 2.6 oz of lye total. I measured it out by the gram, and didn't figure in the grams for the second ounce. Really stupid mistake.

Since it's not lye heavy, you could shred it or chunk it and add it to another batch. It will just take longer to harden up.

Just make a whole new batch and add it in? Should I just melt it in with the oils? Should I add the extra lye to the new batch to compensate for the miscalculation? Should I wait for the messed up batch to cure, or can I re-do it right away? I just made it today, so could I re-do it tonight? Sorry for the 20 questions. I really appreciate your help.

BaileyK said:
Just make a whole new batch and add it in? Should I just melt it in with the oils? Should I add the extra lye to the new batch to compensate for the miscalculation? Should I wait for the messed up batch to cure, or can I re-do it right away? I just made it today, so could I re-do it tonight? Sorry for the 20 questions. I really appreciate your help.
Just make another regular batch. Don't add any extra lye to compensate. You can either mix it with your warmed up oils, then add the lye water, or add the shreds after trace, so they stay suspended.

Back