Today's venture: Updates with cut pics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachgurl

Reaction score
Here's the grapefruit jasmine I did tonite .. finally getting the hang of swirls .. :D

20090211_15.jpg

Sure I'll tell you. I used Tradewind's basic 8 to color (SoapMakerMan suggested them and let me tell you they're great). You gotta get everything ready to go before you start. So I used 3 colors, mixed them according to the color chart; put them in their respective swirling bowls. Get your wooden skewer ready (the throw away wooden kind for kabobs; every grocery store has them).

I did this room temperature, it gives you a lot more time to work. Lye and oils .. both room temp. Have a whisk, SB, and a ladel ready to go, along with your FO.

This is a combination swirl, part of it is in the pot, part of it in the mold, that way you get the fine swirls on top and the color goes all the way through. Add your lye to oils ... DO NOT use a stick blender. Trace will come too quickly. As soon as your soap goes from translucent to that milky look, you must separate out, but don't forget the FO. Use the ladel, scoop out some soap into each of your bowls. After you've done that, hit each bowl with a couple pulses with the SB (don't do too much, just enough to get it mixed). Make sure you rinse in between hitting each color. Now you do your in the pot swirl .. pour from various heights all around the pot. Don't use all your soap batter .. leave some left over. At this point, the soap should still be at a really light trace. Take a rubber scraper, and stir your swirl only once around the pot .. pour into your mold.

Now here's where I'd had problems in the past. You have to wait until your soap in the bowls is more thickly traced. I'd say about a medium trace. Then you pour the remaining soap batter really close to the top .. don't pour it from far above, otherwise it won't stay on top. Then you take a the skewer and go to town.

Thanx so much for the compliments guys, I appreciate it it.

Thank you for your clear explanation; think I might go to give it a try next week or so :wink: Your soap looks gorgeous! Hope to see your cut pics soon :)

WOW! That's gorgeous, Beachgurl! Thank you so much for the excellent explanation of how you do your swirls - I've always just messed around, not really knowing the best way to approach them. This is so helpful!

Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for the directions beachgurl!! I must give this a try.

Digit

Beachgurl - that is gorgeous and what a wonderful explanation on how to do it....I'm really looking forward to seeing the cut pictures....

Cheers
Lindy

WOW!!!!!! I didn't think it was possible for them to be any more beautiful than when they were in the mold, but the cut bars are gorgeous! Wow. I have soap envy.

Latest posts

Back