Titanium dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candicec003

Reaction score
I'm wondering what other peoples ratio of TD to water is? I mix mine 1 : 2 TD to water. The problem I have is the portion of soap I reserve for the white TD gets concave as it ages, and I know that's from too much water. How to you guys avoid getting concave soap when using TD and water?

I just add enough water to mix it. Doesn’t take much. I pre mix it in a bottle so it ready when I go on a soaping marathon. I generally do 6-8 batches at a time. Usually 2 days in a row.

...she doesn't give a ratio of water to TD. She just gave oil
:D I think that's her point: Oil is better at fully dispersing the TD than water is. For me, I eliminate the problem by using white kaolin (China) clay, 1 tsp - 1 tbls PPO, to whiten a batch. :thumbs:

I do as shunt does, just enough water to thoroughly mix it without clumping. As she said it doesn't take much, and you can just experiment until you get your ratio right.

I find I like mixing mine with oil much better than with water, but either will work.

I use water-soluble, but I dilute mine at a higher rate of water - partly because my soap oils will cure to an off-white color on their own. I add TD just to brighten it, or to mute brighter colors. I mix mine up at 1 ounce water to 1 tsp TD ratio. I don't really measure when I add to the soap, I've gotten the hang of knowing how many squirts to add to how much batter without causing glycerin rivers (if I don't want that affect, sometimes I do try to intentionally get it).

Back