Thought I knew how..but no.. :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misskat22

Reaction score
So I made a 'swirl' soap the other day, only I failed. It still looks neat and I'm happy with it, but it's not quite what I was looking for. I made a batch of cherry almond and separated out some of the unscented batter so it would stay creamy coloured (which has worked well so far..shall see as it cures). I put some scented (brown) soap on the bottom of the mold, put the unscented in the middle and then more scented on top, after it was all in the mold I took a wooden skewer and dragged it through in an S pattern across the length (short ways) and then back and forth the other way (long ways) I was hoping for a swirl effect, but that wasn't what I got.

So my question is, how exactly do you do a swirl? It's clearly more complicated than I thought!

It depends on what kind of swirl you are aiming for. I do a lot of in-the-pot swirl, because that is the easiest for me. There are several good YouTube videos out there on the different methods of swirlig. For me, that is the best way to learn.

There's many ways of doing swirls, depending on the kind of result you want. When I do layers of colours, I usually do a 'coathanger' swirl as that allows the colours to move into each other. My favourite type of swirl, for ease of use is the ITP - in the pot swirl. If I'm adding two different colours to the main one (which will be in my mixing pot), I pour the first colours at 12 and 6 ... looking at the pot as being a clock face ... and the second colour at 9 and 3. Then once or twice round the pot with a spatula and it's ready to be poured into the mould.

hi misskat22
it has few different ways to do the swirl technique , depending on the intensity of the swirl you are looking for . quickest and easiest is the "in pot swirl" where you pour your colors into the pot lightly agitate and pour into the mold. for the way you layer your colors using the skewer in the way you did would only give you an effect on the top of your soap. wire technique or spoon would have given you what you were looking for. so far i have only been lucky with the hanger swirls.
here is a video link for a few types of swirls >>> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL44760898E034D2DB
this is the hanger swirl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07eK0rKzo3E
for the way you layered your colors this may have been more the technique you may have had success with >><< http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/tipstricks/ss/whiteblueswirl.htm
i am sure you will get it in your second attempt.... hope these helps you some , bless

YouTube videos I have learned a lot from are Celine and Titch with iamhandmade.com and the Soaping101 series but my new favorites are from ...ummm...not sure about the name of her soap company but I think it's New England Handmade Soap (sorry Dana!) --- but you can go to the Photo Gallery here on this forum and find her - she posts as danahuff. She's done some really cool swirls lately. She even posts videos of batches that didnt go as planned so we can all learn right along with her.

I might add that I think she and I started soaping about the same time and I am totally jealous of her. :)

Please, post pictures of your cut bars. Although they might not look as you had wished, I like seeing all the different varieties on soap.

I'll be sure to post some pics SoapPapaw :) They didn't turn out how I was expecting, but I'm quite happy with them. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. I just spent about an hour watching BathMistress videos and learned that I actually poured my soap too thick..I'll just have to give it another shot, what a shame :-D

Something I have found with swirling is that I get better definition if my soap batter is not to thin. So often we read that the mix should be just emulsified but I prefer to swirl at a slightly thicker trace.

Nice to see you back Dragonkaz, its been a while, you'll notice some changes.
I call in every now and then ... mostly to look at all the fantastic photos. Not sure what happened yesterday, but I decided to stop for a little while.
Things have changed, but hopefully it's working well for those who most need/use this site!

Like many others, I have mostly done in the pot swirls. I highly suggest looking up videos on youtube there are some wonderful tutorials for doing different swirls. There are also a lot of great tips in the videos as well.

YouTube videos I have learned a lot from are Celine and Titch with iamhandmade.com and the Soaping101 series but my new favorites are from ...ummm...not sure about the name of her soap company but I think it's New England Handmade Soap (sorry Dana!) --- but you can go to the Photo Gallery here on this forum and find her - she posts as danahuff. She's done some really cool swirls lately. She even posts videos of batches that didnt go as planned so we can all learn right along with her.

I might add that I think she and I started soaping about the same time and I am totally jealous of her. :)

Wow, thanks, Chicklet! :wave:

I second Celine. She is awesome, and I have learned A LOT from her.

Back