This makes "scents," right?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After 4 of them, I have finished making 40-bar recipes (patchouli, lavender, eucalyptus, and peppermint oatmeal). Now I am going to focus on 10-bar recipes. I have a question about the EO/FO usage.

For the 40-bar recipes, I used 8 oz. of scent. So, if I made 20 bars (half), I would use half the scent - 4 oz. And if I made 10 bars, I would use half again - 2 oz. Now, 2 oz. is 4 tablespoons.

4 tablespoons just doesn't seem to be enough to me. There has never been anything subtle about the scent of my soaps. You know what scent you are using when you shower with one of my soaps. (Unlike the bar of soap I recently bought on the net that, if it hadn't been for the label, I wouldn't have known what soap I was washing with.)

So, anyway, my question is, do you think 4 tablespoons will be enough to seriously scent 10 basic bars of soap?

Last edited:
Do you measure the scent for your big batches by weight or with tablespoons? I wouldn't switch from weight to tablespoons, but if it has been working for you so far keep at it ;) Or go by weight and put in as much scent as you can get away with!!

I use at max, 1 oz of scent per pound of oil so if your 10 bar recipe is around 2 lbs then yes, its plenty.
You also have to take safe usage into account. Some scents like cinnamon can not be used at a high rate as its a irritant.

Your FO should have a safe usage amount listed on site you buy from.

I use .8 to 1 oz per pound of oils (5-6%) as long as the usage rate allows for it. I like my soap strongly scented, so if the scent is weak at that amount, I won't buy it again.

Latest posts

Back