Think I just set a record for rapid trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tried a small batch of my regular recipe for a butterfly swirl. Used Orange 5x, clove, cedar wood EOs and WSP's Sunflower FO all of which I premixed in the oils. The minute they hit the lye, they traced. Any guesses as to the rapid trace culprit?

Also the Sunflower is one of the fastest FO's that I have used! Probably the combination of the Sunflower and Clove. I haven't tried your mix of course, but for the Sunflower alone I either do a single color, ITP swirl, or a mosaic type of design with confett. The Honeysuckle Hollow from WSP is right up there for fast tracing just in case you purchased it too!

Read the 4th review down on the WSM site, under the FO comments. That could have been it.

Glad to see you're still alive after those tornado's tearing through your neck of the woods.

That s a seizure. I am sure it is taken care of by now, but in the future if you stick a lid on the pot and let the seized soap go into gel you will be able to quickly stir it together and pour it in the mold quickly. This method will not give time for playing with colors, but can usually get at least one color added into the batter. I would definitely say the clove mixed with the sunflower

That s a seizure. I am sure it is taken care of by now, but in the future if you stick a lid on the pot and let the seized soap go into gel you will be able to quickly stir it together and pour it in the mold quickly. This method will not give time for playing with colors, but can usually get at least one color added into the batter. I would definitely say the clove mixed with the sunflower

I actually wouldn't call it an outright seize. I had time to blend some colors and even got thick swirl with a rod. There was no time/need to stick blend but it was a nice consistency... No ricing. No pouring, but it spooned nicely. Would have been a perfect drop swirl.

Hello! I agree with everyone else concerning the clove and the sunflower FO. Spices and many floral fragrances have a chemical or chemicals that act as a catalyst for rapid reactions with the lye. You have to work like a cartoon character on speed to mix and pour very fast. You can gain time, in part, by lowering your soaping temps. Oh - and be careful for spice FO's can cause your soap batter to greatly heat-up in your molds - which can cause lye pockets to develop.

Butterfly Swirl Take 1...I won't tell you what it was supposed to look like

image.jpg

That is beautiful soap! It does look like an owl, your colors and swirls are so nice it is hard to imagine that this was a problem batch.

Latest posts

Back