Thickness of Cut for Bar Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
Trying to decide on a good thickness to cut my bar soap. Bars are 3.5 x 2.25. Would love feedback from others.

Mine are 1.25 as well. I like a chunkier bar of soap. 1” to me felt a tad too small. Plus my mods give me exactly 16 bars with no waste other then beveling.

Last edited:
I have the same dimensions as yours and I cut at 21 mm. I always use inches but my brain just cannot do the math of dividing the length of the mold by number of bars, LOL. I get 11 bars out of my 10" mold with 2 skinny cuts.

I do 1" cuts for me, because I have really small hands, and 1.25" for the fam. Or, I'll bevel the 1.25" for me if I forget to cut a couple of skinnys. The fam thinks the 1" bars too small, even though that's the size of the TJ bars they used happily for years - LOL. I've never said a thing, I just cut 'em bigger. Silly.

Trying to decide on a good thickness to cut my bar soap. Bars are 3.5 x 2.25. Would love feedback from others.
I cut mine 1 1/8” and get exactly 7 bars from my 8” loaf. I am happy with this size as it is easy to hold on to which is very important to the folks I make for. I have found that thicker bars are considered too thick for comfortable handling (for the folks I make for).

1" My bars weigh an average of 5.6 ounces. I get exactly 30 bars/batch. My testers and customers prefer the thinner bar because half of them don't use a washcloth (I'm working on that) and the bigger bars are unwieldly for them. Also, bigger bars don't fit inside the mesh soap savers I sell.

I agree; I wish the 1-inch thickness for multi-bar cutters was not the norm.
Me too! I emailed a vendor of a multicutter a few months ago and he replied very kindly, but was genuinely dumbfounded as to why anyone would want anything besides 1" bars, as well as why anyone would want a multicutter that could be adjusted for different thicknesses. So, now I'ma gonna make my own - I mean there must be a way, right? I made my own sliding cutter, so surely I can do this too (she says - LOL). Wish me the best!

I do mine at 1.25" too, about the same dimensions as OP's - I think mine are 3.5x2.25x1.25. They make a nice chunk bar. People are really pleased with that size, and most tell me that they will cut it in half so they can rotate their soap stash quicker. I have at times wanted (or been asked for) a 1" cut, but dread asking my hubby to make me a second multibar cutter. Maybe after I close the books on 2020 he'll do it because I can actually pay him for it :)

Back