Thermometer what kind i should select for soap making?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ara Mo

Reaction score
Would like advise what sort of thermometer is suitable for soap-making? As I have never actually use a thermometer in my soap-making.

I was fortunate that all the time when I'm creating soap it turns out alright (being able to use safely with no harm) even without measuring the temperature. Would like to further understand how much of the effect of temperature would affect my soap?

Hello 👋
I have a thermometer and I use it but I also noticed that I typically don’t make any adjustments based on temperature. This is likely based on consistently making GMS so my lye liquid is always cool (~70-75f) from being in an ice bath. For my oils, I make sure everything is fully melted and clear, and that is usually around 100f. This is the thermometer I picked up:
Wintact Infrared Thermometer Cooking Digital Temperature Gun -58℉-986℉(-50℃-530℃) with Max-Min Measure (Not for People) Digital Infrared Thermometer with Backlit for Kitchen and Cooking https://a.co/d/dLAiLcj

I find very helpful temperature guidance, especially important for beginners, from BB and @TheGecko, so maybe she will weigh in with some wisdom. 🌸

I bought a Standard Digital One from Amazon. I used it a lot the first year I got it as I got to know my batter under various conditions...melting oils from scratch/master batch in the microwave/store, different times of the year, making Goat Milk Lye Solution, adding FO to Lotion Bars, etc. Now days, I rarely use it. I don't regret buying it...I think it's a very useful tool, just one that isn't needed as much later on.

I bought a Standard Digital One from Amazon. I used it a lot the first year I got it as I got to know my batter under various conditions...melting oils from scratch/master batch in the microwave/store, different times of the year, making Goat Milk Lye Solution, adding FO to Lotion Bars, etc. Now days, I rarely use it. I don't regret buying it...I think it's a very useful tool, just one that isn't needed as much later on.
Just want to modify the end of the last sentence and say that it was something that "I" found that I didn't need as much later on because I don't make a lot of stuff in which temperature control is more necessary.

Thank you everyone for their remarks and suggestion would take note of them. Though I might settle of something that can be use for cooking as would get more use of a thermometer.

Latest posts

Back