The Palms

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
We're used to making the distinction between palm oil and palm kernel oil. (The former from the fruit, the latter from the seed.)

I've been thinking about the fact that both coconut oil AND babassu oils also come from species of palm trees. Moreover, they are also both come from their respective seeds and are considered 'brittle oils' like PKO. So it's little wonder that they have similar characteristics in soap - they are similar species.

Which brings up the point of this post: We know that there are socio-economic concerns to using palm and palm kernel. Many people want to avoid them for 'ethical' reasons. Do those same concerns exist for their cousin palms coconut and babassu?

your discussion is very interesting.....
*I use organic, Pacific Island derrived coconut oil. My understanding is that these are harvested from 'wild' and not cleared land used for plantations.
*I prefer to not use palm oil due to the destructive processes used to clear native vegetation of its plants and animals to build plantations of an oil I can find alternatives for.
*I use local olive oil, from land cleared of its native vegetation almost a century ago
*I think wholesale clearing is such a mistake, and once done can not be undone (although improvements can be made)
*Tropical ecosystems are so rich and so are more vulnerable to extinctions per acre.
*Its the best decision I can make at this time.

Hey that’s a good question because coconut palms are also grown in plantations (which means native habitats ARE lost to the animal and plant species that evolved there). In fact just about everything we consume or use these days is produced at huge scales, so you can count on an environmental effect. Have you ever seen (or smelled) an industrial pig farm, or gazed upon miles and miles of olive trees?

Last edited:
So glad you posted this, its been niggling away at the back of my mind for ages - I avoid Palm but have never added in Coconut and there is a thoughth process that says its no better ecologically! Will be interested to see what others say - aside from the usual palm oil rubuttal!!!

I researched it when I first started soaping - seems like there is an ethical dilemma about using absolutely any ingredient. Even olive oil. If I remember correctly, a concern with coconuts is that people sometimes die harvesting them. But they were happy they got to have a job even knowing the risks ... so, um, it would also be bad not to buy it?

Latest posts

Back