The beginnings of a new soaper!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candice19

Reaction score
Hi everyone! You may or may not have seen me in the Introduction thread, but I'm a new soaper and totally excited about it!

I started off with some M&P, and I have a couple of questions if it's OK with you. (Please note I've only shopped at Brambleberry so far)

1) Fragrance oils. I'm not sure if I should be measuring by drop, or by mL or what. I did practice 2 ounce soaps, and have used 10 drops. The scent didn't really stay on your skin. So then I tried the actual recommended 3-5% (I did 5%) - but that means I'd have to use 4mL of fragrance to scent 2-2.5 ounces? Am I doing something wrong? It seems like a lot.

2) Colorants. I know that with M&P you should use low-pH colors. But, the colors that are available leave a really light/pastel-y color to white M&P. I've used about 2 drops per ounce of soap. Are there other liquid colors that can make a color really deep or bold? Or should I just be adding more color (is there a max amount I can add)?

3) I've used some M&P bases, where I've actually added 1 teaspoon coconut oil to 2.5 ounces of soap to make it more lathery. At that usage rate, does it really make a difference? I heard you should use 1 tablespoon per pound?

4) I've only shopped at Brambleberry, and my first order was unfortunately unpleasant. Not to mention the shipping is expensive/slow since I live on the East Coast. Could anyone recommend sites that are more cost effective to NY with better customer service than Brambleberry?

5) What are you fav places for what items? (hehe, just thought I'd throw that in there to see what you all like!)

I've had 2 testing sessions and forgot to take pictures of the first, but I hope to have pics for you all of my second, which is drying now!

candice19 said:
Hi everyone! You may or may not have seen me in the Introduction thread, but I'm a new soaper and totally excited about it!

I started off with some M&P, and I have a couple of questions if it's OK with you. (Please note I've only shopped at Brambleberry so far)

1) Fragrance oils. I'm not sure if I should be measuring by drop, or by mL or what. I did practice 2 ounce soaps, and have used 10 drops. The scent didn't really stay on your skin. So then I tried the actual recommended 3-5% (I did 5%) - but that means I'd have to use 4mL of fragrance to scent 2-2.5 ounces? Am I doing something wrong? It seems like a lot.

2) Colorants. I know that with M&P you should use low-pH colors. But, the colors that are available leave a really light/pastel-y color to white M&P. I've used about 2 drops per ounce of soap. Are there other liquid colors that can make a color really deep or bold? Or should I just be adding more color (is there a max amount I can add)?

3) I've used some M&P bases, where I've actually added 1 teaspoon coconut oil to 2.5 ounces of soap to make it more lathery. At that usage rate, does it really make a difference? I heard you should use 1 tablespoon per pound?

4) I've only shopped at Brambleberry, and my first order was unfortunately unpleasant. Not to mention the shipping is expensive/slow since I live on the East Coast. Could anyone recommend sites that are more cost effective to NY with better customer service than Brambleberry?

5) What are you fav places for what items? (hehe, just thought I'd throw that in there to see what you all like!)

I've had 2 testing sessions and forgot to take pictures of the first, but I hope to have pics for you all of my second, which is drying now!

I dont do melt and pour, but i add 1/2 ounce of frag per lb.
I have liked brambleberry, they give you a free sample w every order, but you have to ask, or tell them which one you want. naturesgarden is ok, less expensive, but i think most of the places get ya for shipping. Are you using color from craft store, i dont think its as good, but i bought some from online, and your right, not vibrant color and i have to use alot.
good luck and welcome.
K

Candice....

I shop with Brambleberry and I've had no issues, but one place you might want to check is in Brooklyn, NY. They're called SaveOnScents, and their quality ranges from adequate to excellent (fragrance dupes are to die for), and they offer free shipping on orders over $100.

I've ordered from them many times, and I've been pleased. Here's the address...

http://www.saveonscents.com

Their website takes some getting used to, but they have an INCREDIBLE variety of stuff up there for reasonable prices.

Back