texture of charcoal soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evergreen

Reaction score
I started a new thread because I wanted to focus on one aspect of charcoal soap--the texture based on the type of charcoal used.

I made my first charcoal soap by adding it to a rebatch base soap. I used activated charcoal (aquarium grade) that I ground in a blade grinder until powder started to come out of the grinder. After the dust settled, I used a mortar and pestle briefly to ensure the charcoal was powdered. I used 2 teaspoons for 21oz of melted soap (18 oz firm soap and 3 oz water) in a double boiler. The resulting soap was gray not black.

My husband showered with it and said it was like sand soap (an exaggeration)...he said it was an exfoliating soap like Lava and there was black "sand" in the tub when he was done. I haven't used it yet and he is very fussy; but if he thinks it's a better hand soap, then I need some pointers! I want to make a complexion bar.

Okay, I realize I used too much since I was going by the 1Tblsp per pound of oils recommendation and cut it back for a finished soap being rebatched. I was hoping for a very black soap as well.

Is it worth paying the high price for the activated charcoal powder from Soapmaking Resource or will the powder be the same as what I have made? Do I just need to grind it with a mortar/pestle more? Is charcoal soap usually smooth in texture or does it have a gritty feel to it like a pumice soap? If I add it from the start of the soap (rather than a rebatch) with either cold or hot process, am I likely to get a better color? If you cut down on the amount of charcoal, does it still have the active properties to help problem skin?

Thanks!

I made a soap that I colored black and green with charcoal and green clay. The texture when I have used it was slightly gritty but not sand-ish. I got my charcoal from the healthfood store for a couple dollars. It was in a plastic package and already finely ground.

I made some for my daughter, but I ground it several times until it was a very fine powder. She asked for a little more grit in the next batch. I left a little too much, but we all love it. My daughter for her face, I love it for my feet and hands, and the grandaughter loves it for her feet.

I bought food grade activated charcoal and it is not gritty at all. I posted the source somewhere.

Latest posts

Back