Tell me this is normal??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AutumnBreezeSoaps

Reaction score
I am getting together my THIRD Brambleberry order and I have not even gotten the first order yet :crazy: Please tell me I'm "normal" at least normal for the soap forum? HA I just feel like I did not get enough scents or colors. I only ordered an oz of certain ones...then found out it takes an ounce almost for ONE lb of soap??? Is that correct? WOW I really need to UP my orders if that is true. When you all put in an order what would it look like?? Ounce wise mainly with color and scents. I need some insight on this please :D And thank you!!!

Last edited:
For your 2 lb loaves, you'll be using 0.5 opp which a lot of people like as the scent isn't as strong. BB has an excellent fragrance calculator which I use every time I'm using one of their scents. I personally like closer to 1 opp because I like a stronger scent in my wash off products. But, ya, you'll want to order bigger bottles for larger batches. :p

thank you for that info...I didn't see the calculator on Brambleberry...will check it out! I also like a little stronger scent...especially in a vanilla soap maybe not in a lavender though (unless their lavenders are not as strong as most). I like lavender but man, some of those oils can be WAY to strong and perfumy for me.

You are not going to want to use the pipey squeezy thing. You will be doing lots of squeezes. Plan to measure your EO's or FO's by weight. You pour into a small cup of some sort while weighing. Use a toothpick or something held vertically across the open top of the bottle to prevent the EO from running down the side of the bottle.

I use .50 oz PPO and I think its plenty strong enough. Some light scents I do use more of though. You might want to check out natures garden, their FO's are a bit lower priced.

I too use closer to 1 oz ppo for most fragrances. But my customers seem to like their soaps a bit stronger. There are some I use .5-.8 on and they are just fine. I to suggest checking out Nature's Garden as they are a bit more affordable and their shipping is much quicker than BB. They have some really nice fragrances. Like most places some are misses.

As suggested here above, fragrance and essential oils - in fact all additives - are measured by weight.

(I know some people say 20 drops is 1 ml, but how big is a drop? That depends on the width of the opening of a pipet, or drop-insert in a bottle. That's fine when you're playing around a bit, but if you want to know what you're doing and wish to repeat that the next time, weight is the accurate option.)

On average (independent of measuring in oz or grams) the weight of EO/FO equals 5% of the weight of oils in your batch.

When using a FO/EO for the first time, I would recommend that ratio.
If it turns out to be too strong, you'll know that you could use less.

If it turns out not strong enough, you may consider to add more next time, at the same time regarding the max. amount advised by the manufacturer/supplier.

IMHO, it's bad economy to skimp on the amount of FO; all money is lost when you hardly can distinguish the scent the soap should have had.

For me it depends on the fragrance, not very helpful I know but for some FO's I can use just a half ounce per pound and its fairly strong. However some lighter EO's I use up to an ounce per pound to get the same intensity. When I blend a balanced blend (base, mid and top) I use about .8 ounce per pound but with more of the top, then mid, and less of the base. I would say you would be safe using a half ounce per pound for a good lasting scent for most things. You'll definitely get to know which are stronger and which you need a bit more for.

Oh and you are perfectly normal. Wanting to try everything right away is normal, it's not feasible, but it is normal! ;)

You've received great advice on weighing and the amount of FO or EO to use, just be sure not to measure it into a plastic cup, it will eat right through the cup! You will want something glass or metal, or a stronger plastic.
Also there are a few fragrance oils that cannot be used at one ounce per pound, most sites will list the maximum amount that can safely be use.

I've been TEMPTED to do that, but I've managed to hold off! Instead, I just order way to much stuff at once! "Oh, this looks good! Hmm, I've never tried that. Well, I already have some of this scent from another vender, let's see how this one compares," etc etc.

Regarding the color - What did you order? I use their oxides and I have been very pleased with them! You may need the whole ounce to get a very dark color, but you won't need it to get a lighter color. Also, swirling is an option!

You guys are all so helpful! I do have small plastic bowls but they are very thick. Got at Walmart by the gadgets. I will for sure measure them out. I'm printing all the info out to read about each thing I purchase before I use them. I only got one pipette because I thought it may not work. Thank goodness I didn't get a hundred! Lol. Thanks for the info on Natures Garden. I will add that to my shopping info for next time. I now have 5 orders coming between brambleberry and amazon. Delivery starting tomorrow through Tue next week. So much fun! Thanks again :)

Latest posts

Back