Quantcast

Tell me about Salt bars...why great?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do salt bars turn whitish/ash??

My salt bars did. Rinsed then a couple of times. Anyone else have that problem?
Mine get incredible ash. But I don't color them so it just makes them look saltier. Once you use them the ash is gone

Savonette

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember that post! I keep trying to make a nice one and keep failing. Either hard as rocks or they feel like 100% soda ash. Hats off to you!

Iluminameluna

Reaction score
Just had to reply.
I have come up with my own recipe: 50, 30, 20 with, respectively: lard, coconut, and light olive oil, and 25% salt solution, with plain water in a 1.7:1 liquid to lye ratio. I SF @ between 4 to 6% depending on who's requesting the soap. CP, and always in individual molds. During the Summer months the ash/salt crystalline formation is awful or was. But I no longer blend it to medium trace, I use the stick to just bring it to an emulsion and then let the batter sit in the molds for as long as it wants to solidify. In this case, 4 days.
I include 2 photos. The smaller soap is the one that took 4 days to solidify. It practically jumped out of the mold. And it was one of those little plastic cups they sometimes give you at take-out places with condiments (recycle code 6). The larger mold was from a fruit cup. Came with either pineapple or peach cubes (Zee Zee brand? Recycle code 6 or 5). They were harder to remove because I didn't know any better and took them out in 2 days. But also, they weren't so lard heavy, only 35%, 35% light olive, 25% CO 76°, Ca 5% but the salt solution was also 25%. SF 4%, and CP.
If this helps anyone who's wanting to try lard, or is struggling with a lard recipe, it can be done. The lather is SO luxurious. My family (ok, my oldest son who's a real stickler about what he puts on his skin) were my first Guinea pigs, then he recommended the soap to his best friend, an older lady with 2 young daughters he'd help raise, they had problem skin like his, and so on. Now they've spread the word, and my soaps are getting around.

Attachments

Obsidian

Reaction score
Just had to reply.
I have come up with my own recipe: 50, 30, 20 with, respectively: lard, coconut, and light olive oil, and 25% salt solution, with plain water in a 1.7:1 liquid to lye ratio. I SF @ between 4 to 6% depending on who's requesting the soap.
You are making brine soap, we are talking about salt bars which have significantly different recipes and a lot more salt.

Hope Ann

Reaction score
Just had to reply.
I have come up with my own recipe: 50, 30, 20 with, respectively: lard, coconut, and light olive oil, and 25% salt solution, with plain water in a 1.7:1 liquid to lye ratio. I SF @ between 4 to 6%
That sounds lovely. What is the cure time?

Hope

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oops, sorry. Didn't mean to intrude.
It is okay, you did not intrude. Brine (Soleseife) soaps are lovely and I make them too, but I also make Salt Bars that are 100% salt that was some of the first soap I ever made. I prefer my salt bars to cure a min of 8 months with 12 months. Five years makes a premium salt bar. :nodding:

MarinaB

Reaction score
I have seen a link how to make salt bars with shea butter. Eventually I got shea butter but cannot find that topic where was the link. That link inspired me to get shea butter and get some salt. Does anyone make salt bars with shea butter?

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen a link how to make salt bars with shea butter. Eventually I got shea butter but cannot find that topic where was the link. That link inspired me to get shea butter and get some salt. Does anyone make salt bars with shea butter?
I also use Shea Butter sometimes. 80% Coconut, 20% Shea Butter, 75% fine salt, 20% SF. I just found an oldish salt bar (guessing 3 years old) in the back of a closet (we’re moving) and I tried it out and wowza, that bar has the most luxurious suds.

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shea Butter really does very little in a salt bar and without a very long cure, actually a couple of years, it will deter from lather. I would save the Shea for a something it will be nice in.
I really love the salt bars with Shea Butter. My opinion.

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Would it be at all possible to make salt bars with goat's milk?
Yes, you can use any milk in soap. (Corrected since I accidentally put the response here to another question about breast milk soap -sorry about that!)

Last edited: