Tell me about Salt bars...why great?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had to reply.
I have come up with my own recipe: 50, 30, 20 with, respectively: lard, coconut, and light olive oil, and 25% salt solution, with plain water in a 1.7:1 liquid to lye ratio. I SF @ between 4 to 6% depending on who's requesting the soap. CP, and always in individual molds. During the Summer months the ash/salt crystalline formation is awful or was. But I no longer blend it to medium trace, I use the stick to just bring it to an emulsion and then let the batter sit in the molds for as long as it wants to solidify. In this case, 4 days.
I include 2 photos. The smaller soap is the one that took 4 days to solidify. It practically jumped out of the mold. And it was one of those little plastic cups they sometimes give you at take-out places with condiments (recycle code 6). The larger mold was from a fruit cup. Came with either pineapple or peach cubes (Zee Zee brand? Recycle code 6 or 5). They were harder to remove because I didn't know any better and took them out in 2 days. But also, they weren't so lard heavy, only 35%, 35% light olive, 25% CO 76°, Ca 5% but the salt solution was also 25%. SF 4%, and CP.
If this helps anyone who's wanting to try lard, or is struggling with a lard recipe, it can be done. The lather is SO luxurious. My family (ok, my oldest son who's a real stickler about what he puts on his skin) were my first Guinea pigs, then he recommended the soap to his best friend, an older lady with 2 young daughters he'd help raise, they had problem skin like his, and so on. Now they've spread the word, and my soaps are getting around.

Attachments

• PXL_20201213_090544677.jpg
    PXL_20201213_090544677.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20201213_090639988.jpg
    PXL_20201213_090639988.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 17
Just had to reply.
I have come up with my own recipe: 50, 30, 20 with, respectively: lard, coconut, and light olive oil, and 25% salt solution, with plain water in a 1.7:1 liquid to lye ratio. I SF @ between 4 to 6% depending on who's requesting the soap.

You are making brine soap, we are talking about salt bars which have significantly different recipes and a lot more salt.

Oops, sorry. Didn't mean to intrude.
It is okay, you did not intrude. Brine (Soleseife) soaps are lovely and I make them too, but I also make Salt Bars that are 100% salt that was some of the first soap I ever made. I prefer my salt bars to cure a min of 8 months with 12 months. Five years makes a premium salt bar. :nodding:

I have seen a link how to make salt bars with shea butter. Eventually I got shea butter but cannot find that topic where was the link. That link inspired me to get shea butter and get some salt. Does anyone make salt bars with shea butter?

I have seen a link how to make salt bars with shea butter. Eventually I got shea butter but cannot find that topic where was the link. That link inspired me to get shea butter and get some salt. Does anyone make salt bars with shea butter?
I also use Shea Butter sometimes. 80% Coconut, 20% Shea Butter, 75% fine salt, 20% SF. I just found an oldish salt bar (guessing 3 years old) in the back of a closet (we’re moving) and I tried it out and wowza, that bar has the most luxurious suds.

Latest posts

Back