Tallow troubles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azimuth

Reaction score
I bought some tallow on ebay, went to use it tonight, and noticed in all the melted fat, there were pieces of MEAT floating in it. :( I can't use it, can I?
I am so disappointed and upset, since I did pay $14.00 for two lbs of it.

I may be wrong, having only worked with animal fat once, but I think you could just render it again (maybe twice?) to get the meat out. It just sounds like whoever rendered it didn't filter it well enough.

I think it's still usable though... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I would be sure to buy from a reputable source next time so you know the age/quality of the fat or just render it yourself, it's not a terrible job, just takes a while.

tasha said:
I may be wrong, having only worked with animal fat once, but I think you could just render it again (maybe twice?) to get the meat out. It just sounds like whoever rendered it didn't filter it well enough.

I think it's still usable though... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I would be sure to buy from a reputable source next time so you know the age/quality of the fat or just render it yourself, it's not a terrible job, just takes a while.

Thanks, Tasha. I think if this one doesn't happen to work out, I'll just go ahead and buy the tallow from Essential Depot from now on.

Yikes! I wouldn't be ordering tallow from that ebay seller anymore. That's messed up. I agree with Sunny in that it might still be good to use, but I can't say for sure. Do the meat floaties smell rancid or rotten? If it were me, I would go ahead and try to render it twice more, strain real well, and then judge things from there.

IrishLass :)

I'd think that the time and energy (think utility bills along with your energy) make re-rendering too expensive. Then to make soap... meh.

was the seller selling it as already rendered fat? If so...get your money back. ewww. and also probably illegal that they are selling it depending on how they got it in the first place.

Exactly, I agree…..

carebear said:
I'd think that the time and energy (think utility bills along with your energy) make re-rendering too expensive. Then to make soap... meh.

Back