Tallow soaps!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Reaction score
I'm a forager/hunter/gatherer and I found that my best soap, ever, is made with deer tallow. Unfortunately, the deer from the forest tend to be rather lean so I haven't rendered deer tallow in several years.

Here's the recipe!

Deer tallow 75%
Castor oil 5%
72d coconut 20%
50% coconut milk at trace (soaped with 50% of the water volume)
Superfat 7%

The conditioning number is low on soapcalc- however it doesn't take the coconut milk into consideration. This bar is rich, creamy, sudsy, and feels awesome while you shower. My husband loves it, and so do I. It's our family favorite, and it's so mild the grandkids use it. Oh, and it's hard as a rock and lasts forever!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love deer tallow in soap but unfortunately, they have been lean here too. Hopefully I'll get a big fatty this year. Congrats on your buck, he's a nice one.

I'm a forager/hunter/gatherer and I found that my best soap, ever, is made with deer tallow. Unfortunately, the deer from the forest tend to be rather lean so I haven't rendered deer tallow in several years.

Here's the recipe!

Deer tallow 75%
Castor oil 5%
72d coconut 20%
50% coconut milk at trace (soaped with 50% of the water volume)
Superfat 7%

The conditioning number is low on soapcalc- however it doesn't take the coconut milk into consideration. This bar is rich, creamy, sudsy, and feels awesome while you shower. My husband loves it, and so do I. It's our family favorite, and it's so mild the grandkids use it. Oh, and it's hard as a rock and lasts forever!
You keep the tallow and I'll take the Venison. :cool:
Or Maybe just toss down some Venison Pasties...

What a great idea. I’m going to call our deer processor and see if I can get my hands on some. Did you render it just like lard or beef tallow?

I've heard the same thing about the deer being too lean from the guys here at work who hunt. I've never hunted and I've been trying to get any kind of game fat to experiment with for soap. Lol, the looks I got when I asked about bear fat was priceless. I guess the guys here don't hunt bear lol.

Latest posts

Back