Tallow Purification

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronnie.rahul

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about the purification of tallow using VINEGAR with specifications or any other method . . . ,

I'm preface this by saying I've never done this but I do have lots of experience washing lighter oils with water.

You can use as much vinegar as you want as long as you was it out. Since vinegar is an acid, if any is left in the fats then it will nuetralize some of your lye. Simply change the vinegar/water after you've deodorized the fats with straight water, agitate and allow to settle.
Personally, I'd try baking soda first.

The technical soap manuals from the late 1800's would suggest you melt the fats and mix with salt. This dries the fats and coagulates the "other" materials. Allow to cool, take the fat layer off the top and reheat and mix with fullers earth. This will deodorize and lighten the color. You then have to filter out the fullers earth though. I never found a specification for what filter size is needed...

Ronnie- are you trying it ? I have been boiling 10 hrs now still not all melted.. I saw a you tube video that said put beef fat in meat grinder first, I did not do that this time ( mine is in storage). But I will next time. tell me how your is turning out -- I just used some vinegar... after it cools and turns hard, I will boil again just to clean it..

Sorry, I know this is an old post that I dug up here, but I thought I'd add my experience of using vinegar for rendering tallow. Maybe it will be of help to other tallow users in the future.

My sister dropped 30 pounds!!! 😱 of beef fat at my door on Monday. so I've been trying to render it all with the 2 pots I own.
I got it down to about 4 hours of cooking per session.
I heard about using vinegar, So I added a cup of white vinegar to the water in one pot and left it to boil.
after 2 hours the fat blocks had rendered into liquid oil and the grisly bits turned to jiggly jelly. (I didn't grind the fat, I cut my finger and was a bit grumpy so I just cut it into blocks)
But the fat had melted down in half the time.
So I mashed it with a potato masher and then sieved it into icecream tubs to harden in the fridge.

Once hardened I will remove the solid fat, scrape off the yucky stuff at the bottom and throw out the leftover watery yucky stuff.
and then melt it down again for the 2nd time in plain saltwater. hopefully, it will remove any remnants of the vinegar.
I'll update here again during the week.

Sorry, I know this is an old post that I dug up here, but I thought I'd add my experience of using vinegar for rendering tallow. Maybe it will be of help to other tallow users in the future.

My sister dropped 30 pounds!!! 😱 of beef fat at my door on Monday. so I've been trying to render it all with the 2 pots I own.
I got it down to about 4 hours of cooking per session.
I heard about using vinegar, So I added a cup of white vinegar to the water in one pot and left it to boil.
after 2 hours the fat blocks had rendered into liquid oil and the grisly bits turned to jiggly jelly. (I didn't grind the fat, I cut my finger and was a bit grumpy so I just cut it into blocks)
But the fat had melted down in half the time.
So I mashed it with a potato masher and then sieved it into icecream tubs to harden in the fridge.

Once hardened I will remove the solid fat, scrape off the yucky stuff at the bottom and throw out the leftover watery yucky stuff.
and then melt it down again for the 2nd time in plain saltwater. hopefully, it will remove any remnants of the vinegar.
I'll update here again during the week.
Please start a new thread or post in a newer thread as there have been several lately. None of the posters have been here in years and years. Please read the rules and recommendations for the forum. #7 in particular
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-culture-and-tone.56833/
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back