Tallow purification advice worked! :-D

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KE6WNH

Reaction score
I forget which other poster told me about adding vinegar to the water I use when I get ready to deodorize a batch of tallow, but it worked!

I filled a large stainless stock pot about 1/4 full of water and enough vinegar to give it an odor, then drop a handful of gravel into the bottom, and begin melting the tallow at about 6 in the morning until it was level with the pot handles' rivets. Once the water started to bubble and steam up through the tallow, I turned the flame down between 1/2 and 1/3 and let it simmer in there, periodically adding water to keep it close to the original level, until about 8 at night, when the vinegar odor and the meaty smell of the tallow were gone. At that point, it smelled like ordinary candle wax.

I let the tallow cool overnight, and in the morning it was the whitest tallow I'd ever seen. I was easily able to spoon it into ice trays and freeze it into bars for soap making day. The last blobs of tallow to come out ofthe pot had little particles of carbon in them, but this tallow can always be added to the next batch.

Thanks for the tip , that is on my list of things to do.I was thinking maybe outside on the BBQ.:smile:

Kitn

what is the gravel for ?

hmm - I purify my animal fats very different, but can't get rid of the smell, so was looking into other methods

madpiano said:
what is the gravel for ?

When you've got 2 dissimilar liquids boiling in a pot, they can bubble violently if the bottom inside the pot is perfectly smooth. Inert bits of gravel gives the water a bunch of jagged points for relieving the tension.

what else did you try and how did they work? I've spent many years purifying oils and always like to hear what had worked for others. Thanks!

can you be a lil bit clear . . . i mean specifications about the quantities for the complete procedure . . ,
i'm using hydrogen peroxide for the same . . is that better or the one specified . . ,

Back